PDA

View Full Version : Yellow or pitted clearcoat - stripping and polishing rims

MYBAD79
11-12-2010, 05:19 AM
I had the rear wheels off today and I decided to strip the clearcoat off these Mustang rims. The clearcoat was dull and pitted from brake dust in a few spots so I thought I don't have much to loose .... I applied the stripper with a small brush, I did not mask anything and simply took my time to apply it carefully so I did not get any on the tires or the silver painted spokes
This is what the rims look like after stripping and polishing with chrome polish - I did NOT use any wet sandpaper or scotch brite on the surface ... this is only stripped, rinsed and polished.... took about 10 minutes to apply the stripper, less than 2 minutes to wash it off and another 2 minutes for a quick polish with some cheap Turtle Wax chrome polish

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I'll be polishing with Mothers polish and seal with "the world's easiest metal polish" (Satingloss) this weekend....

For those of you who consider removing the dull clearcoat from rims: do not use sandpaper unless you really have to....

mrvette
11-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Your project looks more difficult than what I did years ago, to a set of Snowflake Pontiac rims....I had to strip the whole mess, on all 4, I painted the center sections, left the rim naked 'brushed' aluminum, then sprayed with Krylon Crystal Clear from the spray bomb can....

lasted ten years......Maryland weather....garage kept....

:drink:

JeffP1167
11-12-2010, 12:33 PM
make sure you keep brake dust off the exposed aluminum it is very harsh on it.

mrvette
11-12-2010, 02:45 PM
make sure you keep brake dust off the exposed aluminum it is very harsh on it.

Yup, maybe the only advantage to drum brakes....

:gurney::ill: