urgent q : gasket sealer

Belgian1979vette

I'm going to put the two halves of my dyno together (cast iron). Normally there was this packing in between those (reinforced). I got a sheet of graphite with inox sheet packing which i had to cut and punch holes in (worked but not as good as i hoped) However I have my doubts about the sealing capacity of this packing.

I'm contemplating on just putting some red silicone on the mating surfaces and putting them together. Would this work ? (hot water + under pressure)

Thanks

Yves

What's that old red packing called? There's a asbestos and non asbestos type...forgot the name, that stuff works all the time.

no, I mean thick packing stuff, usually red in color. Sheets, can be cut. Dang, forgot the name.

On our older elevators we use a flax and rubber packing. It is 5/8 square and is installed in the head of the jack somewhat like a stuffing box. Are you looking for something like that?

pipe gasket material

Industrial products like pump bodies and pipe flanges use different kinds of reinforced gasket material to make a leak tight seal for elevated pressure and temperature in bolted joints. In the US we have industrial piping supply houses that stock sheet gasket material from companies like Garlock that will handle the pressures and temperature your dyno pump will produce. The stock comes in different thicknesses. It can be cut to fit.

Grampy