how hard to put a lt1 in a 97 camaro?

JeffP1167

I'de like to convert my 97 to an LT1 4l60e .... I've seen quite a few wrecked donor cars for this project soooooooo anyone done this?

3.8 lately just been using a lot of oil and the plastic intake base is cracked. So been thinking of dropping a LT1 in it.

Last edited:
For all the MTE I would go a LS engine long way better than any LT....

LT got too many custom quirks about it, bastard stepchild so to speak....

:mobeer:

Why not get an LS1, so much nicer than the redheaded stepchild LT1 I've seen them go for very little money. LS1 service parts are also cheaper than LT1 specific stuff.

Not a big fan of the LSx engines is all.

huh ???

What's not to like about LS1 engines ???

The aluminum V8 might even be saving a few pounds over the cast iron V6 block....

Complete donor cars are getting cheaper and cheaper....

think about the minor things as well: for example fuel pump.... the V8 has a different pump and they're inside the tank. When I had to replace mine I cut an access hole above the tank instead of dropping the axle and tank.... instructions for the exact location of the pump access hole are on ls1tech.com (that's where I found the info)...

Suspension is something else to consider: there's quiet a difference between the 98-02 V6 and V8 suspension. I bought BMR sway bars for my Z28 and they made a huge difference, I also installed Z28 sway bars on a V6 that also improved things quiet a bit...

brakes seem to be the same for V6 and V8, the SS might be different though....

Not a big fan of the LSx engines is all.

huh ???

What's not to like about LS1 engines ???

The aluminum V8 might even be saving a few pounds over the cast iron V6 block....

Complete donor cars are getting cheaper and cheaper....

think about the minor things as well: for example fuel pump.... the V8 has a different pump and they're inside the tank. When I had to replace mine I cut an access hole above the tank instead of dropping the axle and tank.... instructions for the exact location of the pump access hole are on ls1tech.com (that's where I found the info)...

Suspension is something else to consider: there's quiet a difference between the 98-02 V6 and V8 suspension. I bought BMR sway bars for my Z28 and they made a huge difference, I also installed Z28 sway bars on a V6 that also improved things quiet a bit...

brakes seem to be the same for V6 and V8, the SS might be different though....

My V-6 aside from springs has Z-28, posi, z=28 rack, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3.42 gears ... my cars handles extremely good actually, however I have driven the base v-6 cars and they lack the handling mine has. It has the 3800 performance package I think it was Y-87 .. even came with the Z-28 style chrome wheels.

sounds like the suspension is ok then :)

If you can get an LT1 cheap then why not? It sure is better than a V6. If you can get an LS1 for not much more then it's a no brainer in my opinion. The LS engines are wayy better... I've had an LS1 Z28 for 7 years, never felt the need to add HP other than the typical bolt on stuff like intake and exhaust for better sound....

If you go LS1 you need a complete engine with all wires and accessories, the ignition coils for example are kinda pricey but you don't have that optispark BS to deal with....

I bet you can find a wrecked F-body LS1 donor for cheap....

no desire for a LS .... An LTx will have more then enough power for what I use the car for.

I agree with that....LT makes good power.... just saying if you can find a LSx for cheap go for it... you won't regret it. Then again... you can probably find a good LT engine for $500....

On the LT1: I think the radiators are the same, at least as far as I can tell it's the same radiator on a V6 and V8 (98 and up)... cooling is not very good on these F-bodies, especially with auto and Ac....

A handheld "Predator" was one of my first purchases.... turn the fans on earlier and "tune" the tranny for firmer shifts... ....

no desire for a LS .... An LTx will have more then enough power for what I use the car for.

I agree with that....LT makes good power.... just saying if you can find a LSx for cheap go for it... you won't regret it. Then again... you can probably find a good LT engine for $500....

On the LT1: I think the radiators are the same, at least as far as I can tell it's the same radiator on a V6 and V8 (98 and up)... cooling is not very good on these F-bodies, especially with auto and Ac....

A handheld "Predator" was one of my first purchases.... turn the fans on earlier and "tune" the tranny for firmer shifts... ....

I actually plan on finding a donor and have the engine and trans rebuilt.

Yes, the LT1 rads are the same, all the funky cooling system stuff is on the engine, the rest is all the same.

The V8 rad is thicker than the V6 one, it looks the same but the core is different.

Yes, the LT1 rads are the same, all the funky cooling system stuff is on the engine, the rest is all the same.

The V8 rad is thicker than the V6 one, it looks the same but the core is different.

Curious about that, as I have a late Camaro rad in my '72 the core is the same size but only ONE row of 1.25" aluminum tubes.....
plastic crimped tanks.....stock shit for Camaro...

trick is, they made a SMALLER radiator....assuming thinner??

odd....

:eek:h:

My fans look different then a LT1's as well. I've never had a cooling problem with my car though maybe you meant the V-8's did.

If you go LS1 you need a complete engine with all wires and accessories, the ignition coils for example are kinda pricey but you don't have that optispark BS to deal with....

Are the later LT1 Optispark ignitions any more reliable than the early units?

no, the vent tube helps marginally. The MSD units are not even reliable either. It's a crappy system.

There are some aftermarket "solutions" out there but by that time you might as well just buy a used LS1.....

Optijunk does not have a good reputation... I've come across this topic during the time I had a Camaro....93-97 Z28 with LT1s came with "opticrap"

There are some aftermarket "solutions" out there but by that time you might as well just buy a used LS1.....

Optijunk does not have a good reputation... I've come across this topic during the time I had a Camaro....93-97 Z28 with LT1s came with "opticrap"

Course if you can TIG weld aluminum pretty good, find a junk manifold from any SBC, and replace the skirt on the LT1 mani, put the HEI unit in there and maybe retain the CPS??

if not run stock HEI sending guts....

when putting a stock LT1 induction on my L98 engine some years ago, I modded it for the HEI installed it once and hate to remove it, because it works fine, don't even leak...:drink: