Method of Jacking Front of Car

Red

I have been using a pressure treated 33 inch 4 X 4 post to raise the front of my C-3 for many years. I hand picked the post with tight grain characteristics for strength, but saw this jack accessory and had to have it. It can be found under Summit PN# SUM-918008 @ $42.95, in case anyone is interested in purchasing. BTW...Summit calls it a 2 ton Cross Beam Adapter. The idea of steel gives me more peace of mind and it is adjustable to accommodate most any vehicle. I just thought to share the item, in case anyone was interested.
CrossBeamAdapterFloorJack001.jpg
[/IMG]
CrossBeamAdapterFloorJack002.jpg
[/IMG]

It came with a metric M10 bolt with a washer and shim, but was too inconvenient to place the bolt every time I wanted to use it. Instead, I bought a 2.5 inch M-10 shoulder bolt and after making tight, I cut off the hex head and drilled for a hitch pin. This is only for keeping it from falling off the jack cup while rolling under the control arms. If you look closely, you will see that I have painted a silver line to mark where the extension arms are perfect for fitting my car and a balance point. Different colors can be used to mark different vehicles.
CrossBeamAdapterFloorJack003.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice find.... I've never seen this in the Summit catalog but I think I'll be placing the order this week :thumbs:

I wonder if you can adjust it a little wider so it fits with the threads centered under the A-arm ?? Is the shock getting in the way ??

Why not lift the front using this cross/spreader beam and then place the jack stands under the beam, then remove the jack.... wouldn't that be even better or am I missing something ??

Nice find.... I've never seen this in the Summit catalog but I think I'll be placing the order this week :thumbs:

I wonder if you can adjust it a little wider so it fits with the threads centered under the A-arm ?? Is the shock getting in the way ??

Why not lift the front using this cross/spreader beam and then place the jack stands under the beam, then remove the jack.... wouldn't that be even better or am I missing something ??

Last couple floor jacks I have had, I drilled/tapped a 3/8-16 hole in the middle of the cup, and held a 2x6x~12" long board on top with it and a large washer...

trannies, frames, suspensions, anywhere...up and stands....done...

and it's nice for trannies, in that they balance nice on the platform done many a tranny by myself....today help is appreciated though....

:shocking::hissyfit::flash:

The beam will adjust wider and easily adapts to different widths. I just got mine and haven't had time to find any faults it may have, but a great replacement for my old 4 X 4 post. I place my crossbeam arm under the spring cup, inside the shock and on both sides. I like the stability of placing the jack stand outside the arm and inside the ball joint, on the lower a-arm. This way I can leave the added support of the jack and crossbeam, or remove it to work on susp or motor parts. As with most any tool, over time you will find new ways to use it to accomplish your goal.

I am sharing this as I had been using the 4 X 4 post so long and was always afraid it would split on me one day. Steel doesn't split and lifting the front at one time is much easier. Remember to add witness marks on the arms after you have them adjusted properly. This will make it easy to adjust to your liking, every time you use it. I am considering a cinch bolt to hold the adjustment to the arms until I loosen them.
If any of you guys get one, post what you think of it.

Last couple floor jacks I have had, I drilled/tapped a 3/8-16 hole in the middle of the cup, and held a 2x6x~12" long board on top with it and a large washer...

and it's nice for trannies, in that they balance nice on the platform done many a tranny by myself....today help is appreciated though....

You can't roll the tranney out on the jack from under the car. It must be taken down and slid out, unless the car is raised well off the ground.I also used short sections of 2 x 4, 4x4, and other size material to brace the trans and walk it out from under the car. It gets a little dirtier that way, but it gerts done.

I've just added part number 918008 to my shopping cart ... couldn't resist....

:devil:

... can't have too many tools...... :D

You can't roll the tranney out on the jack from under the car. It must be taken down and slid out, unless the car is raised well off the ground.I also used short sections of 2 x 4, 4x4, and other size material to brace the trans and walk it out from under the car. It gets a little dirtier that way, but it gerts done.

:thumbs: U rite, no question, but without that jack/board it's impossible to do by myself.....:surrender:

One word of caution, if you haven't jacked the front of a C-3 with a spoiler, take note. You will need to first slide your jack under the car from between the front tire and spoiler, minus the jack bar. Once the jack is under, you can place the crossbeam support on the jack cup, have it waiting under the car, adjust the extension arms and place it under the lower control arms and add the jack bar.

I don't want anyone to think the beam can be placed on the jack and rolled under the car from the front. A C-3 is too low and that ain't going to happen. Way back, on the other site, I explained how I used a 4 X 4 post to raise the front of my car and was told it won't work. I was told there is no way to get a jack under the car as I was doing, but I had been doing it that way for over twenty years. It is all in the technique.

I always drive up on ramps or boards to get some wiggle room first, then jack it up.

If any of you guys get one, post what you think of it.

I bought one awhile back but before it arrived, my jack failed. My new jack doesn't have a hole in the saddle or a way to put one in so I've got to come up with another way to attach the bar.

DC

WhatEVER, lets just NOT lift/jack our vettes with that problem on the other post there....

:goodnight::cry: