So just to be different

guru

Any body have experience with an edelbrock thunder series carb?

Variation of the Edelbrock carb with a little more tuning features

Having more tunng is a good thing, IMHO. That was one of Holley's selling points way back. Easier to change jets, PV, lots of different accel pump options. Look at how many companies have sort of copied Holley- ProForm, Willy's, Quik-Fuel, and Demon. They all got Holley's basics, then added to it.

Edelbrocks are supposed to be EASIER to tune.

When it comes to carbs....NOTHING beats a AFB or AVS Carter that includes Edel copies.....

for all sorts of tech/reliability reasons they are the best ever made....

followed by the Qjet.....WAY down the list is Holley and derivitives....

drag racing power be damned....talking gut street reliability and also performance....tunability, lack of fire hazard....

:bounce::bounce:

When it comes to carbs....NOTHING beats a AFB or AVS Carter that includes Edel copies.....

for all sorts of tech/reliability reasons they are the best ever made....

followed by the Qjet.....WAY down the list is Holley and derivitives....

drag racing power be damned....talking gut street reliability and also performance....tunability, lack of fire hazard....

:bounce::bounce:

I have two Edlebrock 500 performers- worked good out of the box. :thumbs:

The thunder carb is mainly for high-performance cars and off-road vehicles, it's designed so that the fuel bowl doesn't flood at extreme angles or under hard cornering.

I have to agree with the others here, my carb has been great, now it seems as though it's a little on the small side so it looks like I may be going bigger to see if I can fix a small yet persistent problem, but I will go with another Edelbrock Performer. I figure hell, I already know how to tune and re-build the damn thing, might as well stick with what I know.

On a side-note, this carb is one of the few carbs I've ever seen that holds a tune, I've gone years without touching anything but the idle/mixture screws.

I'll have to get one of those then, I don't know about extreme angles but that crappy edeljunk floods when cornering in my truck! I hate it when the engine almost stalls.

I'll have to get one of those then, I don't know about extreme angles but that crappy edeljunk floods when cornering in my truck! I hate it when the engine almost stalls.

yup, common problem with anyAFB based carb.....thing to do is try increasing float level a tad bit..... sort of strange it would show up in a truck though..... I used to run helll out of AFB carbs on cars years ago...with no problems....

:beer:

Q: I have a Performer Series carburetor and my engine stalls when I come to a stop or a sharp turn, what will fix this problem?

A: An incorrect float level can cause this to occur. Make sure that the float levels are set properly at 7/16" per the owner's manual (download here). Excessive fuel pressure can also contribute to this condition.

Edelbrock sure does recommend big carbs. Probably has to do with overcomming a mild power deficit.

So I found out about the cornering issue.

WIth the lateral bowls, and the jet placement, hard cornering will uncover the jets.