POLL: How is your situation?

How is your situation?

• Recession? What's that? There's no recession!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm doing better than usual

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Nothing's changed

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • It's getting to be like Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath"

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
The economy is bad. Existing housing sales are down well over 40%. To me that simply translates to no money circulating in my local economy. My income is off by about two thirds, being idle is driving me nuts! Also the bills keep coming and I have to keep trimming the budget so I can stay afloat. I may have to take my personal vehicle off the road - the insurance premium is becoming too demanding and the vehicle is not "essential". It is actually cheaper to insure my two classic cars than it is to keep my 11 year old Ford insured. I used to have no problem with these bills, now it is becoming a choice between paying the mortgage, the insurance and buying gasoline or food. If it wasn't for my fiance's income I would be facing foreclosure soon. I have been very proud of being self employed these last 12-15 years, of my home ownership and other accomplishments, now it is all becoming very fragile.

So my question to you is - How are YOU doing? You don't have to elaborate if you don't want to, or you can rant if you like. We are all in this together!

:beer:

I've been EXTREMELY fortunate. I was at the same plant for 27 years and was lucky to slide smoothly into a new job when the bastards closed it. 10% less pay and I'm a worker instead of engineering but at least I'm working!

I am grateful for that. I know over 100 good people out of work.:confused2:

Well my situation has been complicated by my medical condition. I had a stable job with a company that, whether they admit it or not, really need me. (Not bragging, just saying) Of course, I had to leave that job to start chemo/radiation and now that's continuing. The only bright spot for me is that since I am looking at at least three more months of treatment, I have qualified for SSDI. I don't like it, but I have been paying into the system for 20+ years so I might as well use it. Believe me, I'd rather work.
But to answer your question more specifically, the economy especially around here is just in the tank. The only reaon I believe our unemployment rate is as "low" as it is (about 14%) is that many people have moved out of town/state.
Sadly, I think this really could go "Grapes of Wrath" on us depending on what happens in a couple weeks. It should never come to this but unfortunately the politicians have interjected themselves into so much of our daily lives, they now have the ability to wreck the economy with a press conference. If we keep the intrusive, meddling busy-body politicians (regardless of party) in control, we're screwed. If we get some real people who actually try to get gov't out of everybody's daily life, there is a chance to turn this ship around.

I'm one of the lucky ones I have been with my company since 1985 and with those Chinese guys smashing elevators I will always be needed. All kidding aside I repair and adjust elevators so as long as they keep breaking I should be OK. I have seen a decline in over time calls, but that's OK because I hate being woken up in the middle of the night.

For me it's been some 26 years of advancing arthritis....in the feet pretty bad and now attacking my knees most recently.....

lo back is congenital defect, and so my skeleton is a old rusted out POS made of tin.....

love to trade it in on a new model....seriously....

but I try keep a sense of humor....like wife here looking after her old/ill mother and aunt.....she is all down on the corners....sad looking, and that's upsetting to me....
so anyway, I replaced her blown up portable vacuum cleaner.....with a Walmart special under trade name 'the shark'.....

she looks at it, and says we both have sharks now, but mine really sux.....

and her old grin comes back.....the million dollar smile.....

:):clap:

IF I had not gone reverse trust on this house about 3 years ago, I wouldn't be here....it's that close....due to very bad business shit years ago....

:suicide:

Bad isn't the word for it.
Here we are second to Las Vegas in foreclosures.
Home prices have dropped up to 75%, a lot worse than most areas.
Neighbor just sold his house for 50 grand less than what he paid for it 7 years ago, long before the bubble, and he was lucky to sell.
I've got a rental house up for sale that would have easily brought over 500 grand in the bubble, 300 before the bubble and I can't even get an offer of 150 for it.
One ex wife bought a townhouse for 130 grand brand new, all her neighbors are buying same ones for 25 grand. That's really fucked up.
It's not going to get any better until the last foreclosure is sold and a new market grows and that's going to be a long time.

I figured even is you sell something low right now, we could buy a retirement place for low somewhere in backwoods bumfuck to retire on the cheap. Doesn't look like that is even a plan any longer.

And another of Greeny Obummer and his EPA plan, to save the world of lead, that's going to stop any remodeling etc stimulus around here.
Hope your state doesn't jump on that like Florida did, you'll really have something to worry about then. More classes and certifications, permits and slowdowns etc.
http://www.allbusiness.com/medicine-health/diseases-disorders-environmental-illness/14439557-1.html

When I was a kid I used to store the lead pellets in my mouth for my pellet gun while shooting and I'm only slightly abnormal, no crazy diseases like they're worried about.

The Obummer must be the evil one that Nostradamus prophesied.:cussing:

Not getting ahead, but not backing up either (for now). One little bump and it might get interesting. When my wife passed a couple years ago, I had the bright idea to buy another house for my daughter and grandkids. She's starting to find out the "First National Bank of Dad" is not the money tree she thought it was.

http://www.allbusiness.com/medicine-health/diseases-disorders-environmental-illness/14439557-1.html

Yeh, they got flyers all over the HD/Lowes about that shit, anyone paying any attention?? hell no!! shit, there not any work out there anyway.....used to be the local HD was loaded with contractor trucks in the AM, even as late as 9 am....today, nothing, I can set there and BS with the counter guys for hours, with damn few interruptions.....but strangely enough, they built 2 more Lowes/Despots within 15 minits of the joint....so go figger, they just put a new awning over the lumber exit too, to bring this old store up to their standards....weather/sun protection....so unlikely they going to close the store....prices are UP though....way up......and lead outta paint sure as messed up the product...takes 3 coats to paint a stick of wood now....

and for all the BS, they find only 275 kids with 'elevated' lead? and just what symptoms do those kids exhibit?? maybe it not lead but drugs they been around??

as for 35 grand fines, those are UNcollectable....not today, and the way they are going there are going to be messican gangs hunting down those EPA types.....which is fine by me.....

the EPA needs be shut down...entirely....

number one on my hit list.....EPA, then Dept of Education, then Dept of Energy, then so many others I can't even think of them all.....

My company is doing well, and thankfully so am I because of it. My house has lost a ton of value though, as has my 401K. So "normal" isn't exactly right. Plus, like most guys who are still employed, I don't exactly feel secure, though I have no reason not to. I've been very fortunate, to the point of being blessed that I've been able to work mostly from home, and things are going okay. There are a couple divisions in the company that both want me, but I still consider myself fortunate.

In talking with people (I do travel for work) it seems most people feel like I do, and therefore aren't spending any money, which points to what Gene and others are seeing. I think it's because we just don't know what the gov is gonna do next. It looks like taxes are going up (wouldn't put it past the lame duck session to let the Bush tax cuts expire, remember those, the cuts that were only for the wealthy??) we know that Obama care is going to cost us more money, most companys are going through annual enrollment this time of year and people will see their health care premiums increase, plus everytime you turn around prices are going up. And that's likely to continue because of the national debt. Real inflation is likely on the way. These things are causing people to hold on to their money, not spend it. Hell, the wife and I were out looking at C6 Vettes and just decided not now....

Been out off work since mid June, I'm a construction electrician but have worked the last15 years in middle managment positions in engineering design (construction manager, engineering manager, quality inpection). hoping to get something soon.

Discretionary spending has tanked for the middle class. How many have been spending more on their hobbies, toys, vacations, etc.

I've always been frugal. For over the past 25 years, I have not bought what I could not afford. No c/card debt. I bought my current house 15 years ago & payed it off early. No second mortgage, no pulling out the equity via a loan. I actually lost 20K on my previous house, but made up for that with the current one.

All my cars, truck & bus were bought outright. It wasn't always that way. Apartments, used cars at one time but I have always stayed within my budget. I always wanted new Corvettes, a new truck, a new yadda, yadda, yadda but those payment books make someone else money.

PS Today I made out two checks: $100 to Sharron Angle, running against Ritz Carlton Harry Reid and $100 to Carly Fiorina to help defeat Barbara call me Senator Boxer. Last week I sent $100 to Sean Bielat who is running against 30 year incumbent politician Barney Frank. Remember Barney: the homosexual that had a homosexual prostitution business operating out of his Washington DC residence before he screwed us with Fanny & Freddy.

Been out off work since mid June, I'm a construction electrician but have worked the last15 years in middle managment positions in engineering design (construction manager, engineering manager, quality inpection). hoping to get something soon.

Same here, but I quit construction 4 years ago for the more steady trade show business. Turns out, it was a "wise" move. Construction is dead here. Guys are on the books 18 months or more.

My company was hit hard by the downturn. We spent the last 2 years adjusting. Although we look to be stable now, business is still hurting. I earn less than I did 3 years ago, but my job looks to be stable at the moment........

I'm not quite sure how to respond. I've been out of work for awhile, three years on election day. The first six months I took some time to "get stuff done". About the time I started really looking was when everything started downhill.

The company that I worked for was in the mortgage business. So, there were a few good years before I was laid off, during which I built up a "rainy day fund". Between severance, unemployment, and the fund, I've managed up to this point. But like Doc, I'm frugal and have no debt. I avoided getting talked into buying a house (or investing with other people), so no worries there. Since I only have to provide for me, and many of the things I like to do involve things I already have, my "standard of living" hasn't suffered too much despite greatly reducing my spending -- but then the standard wasn't really high in the first place. Still, I'm coming to the end of the "fund", so I have to do something soon.

For me, what I'm finding is that I can't get employers to talk to me. I'm in IT (Oracle DBA/developer), and have close to 25 years of experience. The main issue is that a lot changed in the industry over the time I was with the last company (8 years), but the company either didn't keep up with the technology, or someone else got the experience. So, I'm behind the curve tech-wise. I took some training and am working on certification, but so far it hasn't made a difference. I think there's a perception that someone with as much experience as I have either wants a title, lots of money, or both. I'm more interested in the long-term rather than where I would start with a potential employer. And, because I don't have debt or anyone else dependent on me, I'm in a position to accept less to start. I realize that some people in a different personal situation might take any job, intending to leave as soon as something better presents itself, and companies that have experienced this (or just fear it) are leery of people applying for a "lesser" position. But, that's not me. It's tough to communicate that though when I can't get ahold of anyone.

So, what was the question again?

As of right now, I haven't had to give up much. But that will change starting around the end of the year if I'm not working by then. Given what I've gotten by on the last couple of years, even a 50% cut from what I was making before would be a lot better than the 0% I've (not?) made for awhile now.

Mike

My company seems to be doing fine

So what is it?? what do??

:eek:

work for a large trucking company

Yeh, good field, every ship in the world lands at Long Beach or SF at one time in it's life....Walmart pays your freight....cool.....:surrender::thumbs:

A buddy/room mate in college majored in transportation, I asked why, he said because it's the biggest bitch part of making anything.....logistics....

he wanted to start his own trucking company outta Baltimore....

dunno what ever happened...but Mel was a smart enough critter and worked hard....so I suspect he did well.....

:thumbs: