Whats next?

Ozzy

A number of newer model cars have push button start. Supposed to be some cool retro thing.
Whats next, another pedal on the floor to step on to engage the starter?
A button on the floor to step on to dim the headlights?
A cable to pull to lift the semaphore ?

Last edited:
On my last holiday from here, we landed at Scotland then headed off to see a friend in Ireland. While there, our friend asked me to pass me her car keys and I noticed that there was no key!?! She explained about the push button thingy and it was new to me.

When we left and went back to Scotland, we hired a car. When I'd signed everything, she handed over the key fob and asked if I was familiar with this type of key? I asked if she meant it was a push button, she replied that yes it was a push button on the dash.

I spent 20 minutes in the car park trying to get that piece of shit Audi to start. Finally, an employee was walking past and I asked him where the damn starter button was and he laughed and told me that the whole fob slots into the dash, then you push the fob in?!?! WTF???

It took another 15 minutes to work out how to shut off the annoyingly large and annoyingly bright LCD screen right in the center of the dash and just as we were finally ready to pull out, I noticed the South African guy and American guy who'd been in line behind me at the hire car desk, were both walking back to the airport terminal. I yelled out if they couldn't start their cars. They both replied that they couldn't so I told them how.

Anyways, what a crock. Going through all that rigmarole and I still basically end up with a "key" that needs to slide into a lock, then use that key to manipulate the lock to start the car. :huh:

Well done Audi :confused:

Wayne, you and me on a similar rant, but I been doing it for over TEN YEARS now.....wife asks why I'm so pissed much of the time when working on shit....

THAT what you said is a classic example of why.....fits the bill to a T......

make work engineering, stupid .gov employment over nothing, typical safety maven shit, typical EPA green weenie shit, typical lawyer driven bullshit so they are assured a living with endless litigation over some minor wire or something....

just wait till steering wheels lock, and engines quit at 80 mph....them bastards can't tell me it won't happen, it WILL happen sooner or later.....it's inherent in the very nature of olde tyme corroded/weathered electronics.....

:crap::crap::bomb::clap:

I personally liked the foot pedal hi/low selector. Don't really know why they got away from it. Wouldn't mind seeing it come back.

I personally liked the foot pedal hi/low selector. Don't really know why they got away from it. Wouldn't mind seeing it come back.

Join the club man, I never minded one way or another,.....UNTIL I put the late shark wheel/column in my '72 and for some 6 years I endured that turn sig being on my knee with the Muncie it was a PIA....with the 700 auto it was not so bad, but still a PIA....bent the lever up toward the wheel to keep comfy....

wasn't until in 01-02 when doing the rack install that I dropped the firewall forward down lo, lowered the brake and gas pedals, and therefore feet were 3" further forward....and knees off the wheel, FINALLY....

:surrender::eek:

Have you ever had to replace one because it was rusted to slag and stopped working? You'd rip out all of the bolts because they were seized to the floor pan. That's why they went away.

I agree with you though. When driving on curvy roads there wasn't anything better for fast response to keep your beams out of the eyes of the driver that just appeared. Far more convenient.

No reason why they couldn't bring it back though.

Have you ever had to replace one because it was rusted to slag and stopped working? You'd rip out all of the bolts because they were seized to the floor pan. That's why they went away.

I agree with you though. When driving on curvy roads there wasn't anything better for fast response to keep your beams out of the eyes of the driver that just appeared. Far more convenient.

No reason why they couldn't bring it back though.

I agree on the dimming, but with increase in women driving, they have shorter legs than most guys, and a more difficult time reaching the floorboard when comfy on the pedals with seat placement....so they went column with it.....I do so little night driving now, I could care less, anyway....

going to be more with the motor home activated though....

:thumbs: