PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Tires?

BBShark
10-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I got new tires for my daily driver. The tire place talked me into Toyo Versado's saying that they were the best tires.

Well, after the change, the next time I was on the expressway I got a pretty severe vibration. Took the car back and the tires were re-balanced. Same deal, vibration at 65mph. I took it back again and they told me the car needed to be aligned. I told them that, if the alignment didn't solve the vibration issue, I get it for free. Then they decided it wasn't an alignment issue.

Long story short, they tried to re-balance the tires a number of times (I lost track). They even removed the tires and checked the wheels for runout and balance.

Last time the car was there, a buddy picked me up at the tire place and I was telling him about the tire trouble. Out of the blue, he says "are they Toyo's"? I said yes and he told me he had the same problems!

When I went back to the store, without me saying anything, the manager offered to buy the Toyo's back and put on a set of Michelin's.

I can't really find much information on the net about Toyo balance problems. Anyone had a similar experience?

BTW, the replacement Michelin's solved the problem.

mrvette
10-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I have never owned Toyo tires.....so I dunno about them particularly....

BUT, radial tires can be finicky as hell about that shit, and many times I have had them simply turned 180* on the rim, rebalanced and cures the problem....

WHY? damn if I know....and yes they passed every stupid test tossed at them....still a high skool dropout....:surrender::eek:

DC3
10-04-2010, 10:45 PM
I put a set of Toyo all terrain tires on a Toyota Tundra I used to own. I thought they were great tires. I actually looked for a set for my Suburban recently but the correct size wasn't available so I went with Michelins.

DC

MYBAD79
10-05-2010, 05:15 AM
Had a set of Toyo Proxxes (spelling) a few years ago (215-40-16), great tires

redvetracr
11-05-2010, 11:26 AM
I never tried Toyo tires but I have Yokahoma`s on my trailer and Kuhmo`s on the front of the dually...all seem to work fine.

daveL82
11-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Togo make very good tires. My wife runs them on her street and track day miata. They were one of the top choices by the miata forums.

Could have been a out of round tire which balance won't fix. I've experienced bad tires over the years from most suppliers except michelin. Bad tires can get through but rare these days. I now only run michelin on my daily drivers. Mix it up on performance rides

MYBAD79
11-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Togo make very good tires. My wife runs them on her street and track day miata. They were one of the top choices by the miata forums.

:thumbs:

I ran the 215-40's on 16x9 rims on my Miata.... traction was never an issue and not because of a low HP engine ... now that was about 10 yrs ago when I was younger and my a$$ was smaller.... dunno if I could still fit in a Miata :D

DeeVeeEight
11-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I had the same experience with General tires about 15 yrs. ago. I removed/replaced them and the balance issues went away. You got a bad set of Toyo's.