Toyo Tires?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I got new tires for my daily driver. The tire place talked me into Toyo Versado's saying that they were the best tires.

Well, after the change, the next time I was on the expressway I got a pretty severe vibration. Took the car back and the tires were re-balanced. Same deal, vibration at 65mph. I took it back again and they told me the car needed to be aligned. I told them that, if the alignment didn't solve the vibration issue, I get it for free. Then they decided it wasn't an alignment issue.

Long story short, they tried to re-balance the tires a number of times (I lost track). They even removed the tires and checked the wheels for runout and balance.

Last time the car was there, a buddy picked me up at the tire place and I was telling him about the tire trouble. Out of the blue, he says "are they Toyo's"? I said yes and he told me he had the same problems!

When I went back to the store, without me saying anything, the manager offered to buy the Toyo's back and put on a set of Michelin's.

I can't really find much information on the net about Toyo balance problems. Anyone had a similar experience?

BTW, the replacement Michelin's solved the problem.

I have never owned Toyo tires.....so I dunno about them particularly....

BUT, radial tires can be finicky as hell about that shit, and many times I have had them simply turned 180* on the rim, rebalanced and cures the problem....

WHY? damn if I know....and yes they passed every stupid test tossed at them....still a high skool dropout....:surrender::eek:

I put a set of Toyo all terrain tires on a Toyota Tundra I used to own. I thought they were great tires. I actually looked for a set for my Suburban recently but the correct size wasn't available so I went with Michelins.

DC

I never tried Toyo tires but I have Yokahoma`s on my trailer and Kuhmo`s on the front of the dually...all seem to work fine.

Togo make very good tires. My wife runs them on her street and track day miata. They were one of the top choices by the miata forums.

Could have been a out of round tire which balance won't fix. I've experienced bad tires over the years from most suppliers except michelin. Bad tires can get through but rare these days. I now only run michelin on my daily drivers. Mix it up on performance rides

Togo make very good tires. My wife runs them on her street and track day miata. They were one of the top choices by the miata forums.

:thumbs:

I ran the 215-40's on 16x9 rims on my Miata.... traction was never an issue and not because of a low HP engine ... now that was about 10 yrs ago when I was younger and my a$$ was smaller.... dunno if I could still fit in a Miata :D