Stainless e-brake linings against gold cad plate.

Maymyvetteliveforever

On the gold cad plated backing for the rear e-brake there is a sticker from Vansteel requesting not to use Stainless Steel e-brake linnings against this surface. I've already purchase the material and don't want to return it therefore I ask, are they compatible and will it be an issue if I ignore the label?

Item #3 (gold cad plate) against #4 (stainless steel linings).

ParkingBrakes.gif

See label at bottom of plate:

BA-14G.jpg

I think the note not to use the ss liners may be more because of the fact that they are shaped wrong. the oem ones are much, much better

I was thinking more on the lines of stainless resting on gold cad plated metal. If it is infact the difference in shape of the stainless e-brake linings then is this something I can grind down to get a better fit? The ones that I'm replacing aren't original therefore I have no reference to compare them to.

Thanks for the reply TT.

I was told the SS shoes will bend/distort more under tension, and that is the issue, maybe not so much with the stampings/assy work....

all I know is using SS shoes 15 years ago was a complete and total cluster fuck, and to fix it, the vette shop swapped over to stockish shoes.....no problem since then....

:hissyfit::hissyfit:

Now I'm a bit confused, is the problem that the S/S e-brake linning tend to "bend/distort more under tension" if so then why does Vansteel sell them? Then in the same order sell gold cad plate backings. Or is the issue that you shouldn't use S/S e-brake linings against the gold cad plate backing plate. It's stated at that bottom right of the backing plate. "Use Non Stainless Steel Linings".

BA-14G.jpg

Now I'm a bit confused, is the problem that the S/S e-brake linning tend to "bend/distort more under tension" if so then why does Vansteel sell them? Then in the same order sell gold cad plate backings. Or is the issue that you shouldn't use S/S e-brake linings against the gold cad plate backing plate. It's stated at that bottom right of the backing plate. "Use Non Stainless Steel Linings".

BA-14G.jpg

Sorry man, too long ago to get more specific than my above comment....

and no recollection over any backing plate involvement in the thing, just that the brakes would not hold well enough for a Maryland inspection, so that the shoes needed changed and we kept the same stainless hardware, which is the primary rust/disuse problem....

all I remember is the stainless shoes could not take the tension the steel/whatever stockish shoes could....

keep the stainless hardware, and use iron shoes....

seems to me in my recollection the backing plates were that gold color...certainly has been changed...trick is about any interaction with stainless shoes is not in the equation there.....

:hissyfit::nuts:

seems to me in my recollection the backing plates were that gold color...certainly has been changed...trick is about any interaction with stainless shoes is not in the equation there.....
When I check the listings, up to 74' they're silver, 74' and up are gold plated.
A quick call to van steel might get you an answer.
Looks like that maybe my next step, bottom line is I'm going to use them anyway since I've already purchased them, I just don' know if Vansteel can tell me if there will be any issues in the future.

The guys at VanSteel have always been helpful when I called, I'm sure they'll be helpful for you too. Plus, they always make things right. Give them a call before you install the SS parts.

Let us know what they say! :)

This is the reply I got from Vansteel and I appreciate there quick reply.

"You can use the SS PB shoes. However, the SS shoes are arched wrong and you will have to sand off a good amount of the shoe to clear the rotor. What we have found is you will need to sand down the shoe lining only if you have the SS PB Shoes. The SS PB hardware has no effect on anything. We do not sell the SS PB Shoes for this reason. I don't know who makes the SS PB Shoes anymore and the problem may have been corrected so it may be fine now. If you choose to use the SS PB Shoes, I would advise that you assemble the assembly 1st w/the shoes and make any mods accordingly after that. Sand paper or a little 3" angle grinder w/a sand paper disc will work just fine. Also note that when you do sand the SS PB Shoes down, you may get close to the rivet that hold the shoe lining to the backing plate. In my opinion, it's not worth it. As long as you have the SS PB Hardware your fine using the Steel PB Shoes."

Thanks again Dan.

Last edited:
This is the reply I got from Vansteel and I appreciate they quick reply.

"You can use the SS PB shoes. However, the SS shoes are arched wrong and you will have to sand off a good amount of the shoe to clear the rotor. What we have found is you will need to sand down the shoe lining only if you have the SS PB Shoes. The SS PB hardware has no effect on anything. We do not sell the SS PB Shoes for this reason. I don't know who makes the SS PB Shoes anymore and the problem may have been corrected so it may be fine now. If you choose to use the SS PB Shoes, I would advise that you assemble the assembly 1st w/the shoes and make any mods accordingly after that. Sand paper or a little 3" angle grinder w/a sand paper disc will work just fine. Also note that when you do sand the SS PB Shoes down, you may get close to the rivet that hold the shoe lining to the backing plate. In my opinion, it's not worth it. As long as you have the SS PB Hardware your fine using the Steel PB Shoes."

Thanks again Dan.

Well, for all the world that exists with communications/language and terminology I THINK that reads like what was the shituashun 15+ years ago at that Maryland vette shop....Tony's Corvettes in G'burg....Tony was a good man, so was his lead tech Andy....I assume it's the same today....

he was club guru for NCCC club #1 formed in '56....Corvette Club of America WAY before that phony outfit outta BG? was formed and stole the name....

goes back a while....

:crap::sweat::bomb:

It's been so long that I don't remember if I got SS shoes or steel shoes... got the E-brake parts from Mike (Traccdog2) so I'm sure I'm not in for a surprise when I finally get my lazy butt in the garage and install the new trailing arms with new rotors and E-brake....

I do remember that when I installed the new E-brake hardware I was thinking "no wonder so many complain about this POS brake"

It's been so long that I don't remember if I got SS shoes or steel shoes... got the E-brake parts from Mike (Traccdog2) so I'm sure I'm not in for a surprise when I finally get my lazy butt in the garage and install the new trailing arms with new rotors and E-brake....

I do remember that when I installed the new E-brake hardware I was thinking "no wonder so many complain about this POS brake"

Maybe because it IS a POS brake???

ya THINK??

:lol::clap::crap: