Tranny leak, is it bad?

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
I've been having leak since I bought the car, with the body up I can now tell where is it coming from :
thum_16554c92fd516528f.jpg
What could it be, and was should I do to fix this. :smash:
Thanks.
Denis da leakin' noob

Looks like tranny dip tube....O ring?....and seal it good, bolt to cyl head for stability up top.....

it could be the cooler lines, but I can't really tell from the look there, for sure that is...so you need inspect really good for oil tracks up top there....

:smash::eek:

Put a new o-ring on the dipstick tube, look at the cooler lines, check the flares for cracks, and pull that plug out just below the cooler lines, put a little thread sealer on it and make sure it's tight. Don't use teflon tape! That pipe plug is a 3rd gear pressure tap- anytime the trans is in 3rd, there's line pressure right there.

Clean it all up, dust it with baby powder, run it, an look again. Red trans fluid in white baby powder will point at the leak like a neon arrow pointing at a cat house.

Put a new o-ring on the dipstick tube, look at the cooler lines, check the flares for cracks, and pull that plug out just below the cooler lines, put a little thread sealer on it and make sure it's tight. Don't use teflon tape! That pipe plug is a 3rd gear pressure tap- anytime the trans is in 3rd, there's line pressure right there.

Clean it all up, dust it with baby powder, run it, an look again. Red trans fluid in white baby powder will point at the leak like a neon arrow pointing at a cat house.

:clap::clap::lol: Hey hey we got a cat house right here!!!!

...little thread sealer on
Blue or Red? I guess blue.

depends... the Permatex stuff I used for my 383 was white.... :smash:

assume you're talking "Locktite" when you're saying blue/red ??

Yup, sorry, didn't know it was not universal, let me rephrase:
Temporary or "Forever" kind....Oh well, I guess everything is relative.
When to permatex website, looks like the the high temp one would be a good choice. Auto trannies can get hot.. right?
Damn, I'm such a :noob:

Loctite makes a thread sealer with teflon- good stuff. It comes in a can with a brush or in a toothpaste tube. I've used that and a regular hardware store variety steamfitters' paste.
I'd be a little concerned about using loctite red, blue or green. Those are to stop fastners for coming loose not for sealing threads on either bolts or pipes.

Quick update here.
I waited to have my engine transfered to the new frame to have a look at it.
Removed dipstick tube only to find the o-ring badly damaged.
I confident it was it because the level of the remaining oil was just a the dipstick base.
One less leak.:bounce:

Well you fixing trannies too, eh..? I just got finished with test drive on my 700 r4 I built for the motor home/Jed's Clamper project....built the tranny last winter and everything fine but no lockup on the converter.....finally got some nice weather 75-80f over the last few daze, LO humidity, nice sunshine....so out it came, and with TimAT's help I found a stuck valve I must have overlooked in the pump so a good cleanup and back together, looking sideways at the 'new' 80 buck converter I had bought....wondering if I got raped or not.....

I have LOCKUP!!!....runs like a charm now....

:drink::drink::3rd: I say :3rd: because that's my :3rd: attempt to fix it....

I WIN!!!!

damnit.....

:gurney::banghead:

Well you fixing trannies too, eh..? I just got finished with test drive on my 700 r4 I built for the motor home/Jed's Clamper project....built the tranny last winter and everything fine but no lockup on the converter.....finally got some nice weather 75-80f over the last few daze, LO humidity, nice sunshine....so out it came, and with TimAT's help I found a stuck valve I must have overlooked in the pump so a good cleanup and back together, looking sideways at the 'new' 80 buck converter I had bought....wondering if I got raped or not.....

I WIN!!!!

damnit.....

If you'd only used the book the first time... :lol:

Glad you got it fixed though!!

I WIN!!!!

damnit.....

If you'd only used the book the first time... :lol:

Glad you got it fixed though!!

FU MR Assmoreohso.....I say I must have overlooked it, because I don't remember DOING it....:surrender::thumbs:

the book, all 99.5 pages fine print of the NYC phone directory....OK, got it....

:2nd::smash:

slap da Bubba!

Hi everyone, a little update about my tranny leak.
you remember that little port you asked me to plug?
16554c92fd516528f.jpg
in the bottom right of the picture.
I plugged it a couple of month ago, well sorta.
16554d9014fce4d0c.jpg
Found a bolt with seemingly same thread, cut it so correct length and slap it in with some thread sealing.
Now it's time to put the body back on I'm reviewing all I should be do now before it's unreachable, and I got the feeling I did it wrong.
So, "Budda work" or "does the job"?

Guys, I'm begging for your inputs on this, the body will be bolted this weekend and I really want this question cleared out before.
Thanks!

The hole with the new bolt is the hold down for the detent cable- the cable hooks to the little wire and then has a little seal that looks like a top hat. Put the seal in the trans, extend the cable so you can hook it to the wire, then push the housing down so the cable/wire goes inside, seat it and put the bolt in- no need for super tight, just snug.
The pipe plug just behind/below that is the 3rd gear pressure tap= pull that plug, put some thread sealer on it and put it back in. With that, and a new o ring on the dipstick tube, you should have it all covered.

I was hoping TimAT would fire up in this....he knows trannies pretty good....

even with his olde tyme feeble memory.....:gurney::crylol:

Tim, when you flipping in town again???

The hole with the new bolt is the hold down for the detent cable- the cable hooks to the little wire and then has a little seal that looks like a top hat. Put the seal in the trans, extend the cable so you can hook it to the wire, then push the housing down so the cable/wire goes inside, seat it and put the bolt in- no need for super tight, just snug.
The pipe plug just behind/below that is the 3rd gear pressure tap= pull that plug, put some thread sealer on it and put it back in. With that, and a new o ring on the dipstick tube, you should have it all covered.
Ok tim, first, reading again the thread I realize that it already was you who gave me all the advices back then.
Advices that I just got wrong.
Detent cable, allright, learning something new today. I looked up for pictures
TH350_cable_cut.jpg

Now I understand (why I didn't understand you): The thing is there was no cable at all here, from day 0 I bought the car.
Does it has to do with the fact the trans has a shift kit?
From a quick lookup sound that this cable has a lot to do in the automatic gear changing process.
Should I put one here?

And yes, the leak was from as crushed dipstick o-ring.

Ok tim, first, reading again the thread I realize that it already was you who gave me all the advices back then.
Advices that I just got wrong.
Detent cable, allright, learning something new today. I looked up for pictures
TH350_cable_cut.jpg

Now I understand (why I didn't understand you): The thing is there was no cable at all here, from day 0 I bought the car.
Does it has to do with the fact the trans has a shift kit?
From a quick lookup sound that this cable has a lot to do in the automatic gear changing process.
Should I put one here?

And yes, the leak was from as crushed dipstick o-ring.

Yes, you need that detent/shift cable, it tells the tranny what the throttle position is, so to know when to shift...soon or later or much later in cast of WOT....

:twitch:

On that trans (TH350), all that cable does is control a forced downshift. When you jump on the gas, that cable pulls a valve in the trans that forces a 3-2 (0r 2-1, or even a 3-1 downshift depending on road speed). Without it, the trans will stay in whatever gear it happens to be in at the time. If you're passing on the highway, jump on the gas (assuming 3rd gear) it will accelerate, but it'll be pretty soft, with no gear change only the carb opening.