Vacume pump again.

kwplot34

Heart Attack
For those that were following along with my vacume pump build, i will be posting it here now.

when we last left off i was looking for a more economical pump,thanks to 01 and his help i have found one that i think will do the trick,it should be here soon.
So standby for more :D

For those that were following along with my vacume pump build, i will be posting it here now.

when we last left off i was looking for a more economical pump,thanks to 01 and his help i have found one that i think will do the trick,it should be here soon.
So standby for more :D

This is getting good.:)

Are you going to a belt driven one? Why not just spin an old smog pump backwards, I think I have seen that somewhere.

Are you going to a belt driven one? Why not just spin an old smog pump backwards, I think I have seen that somewhere.

Yeah i have done some research and talked with Dave at Vamp Racing where i get my fuel and some parts,and he was telling me that on his fleet of drag cars they use a smog pump,the trick is to find one that has an inlet and an outlet tube as some of them draw the air in from behind the pulley,with a little search and help from 010752 we have found one with the correct inlet and outlet just waiting for it to come in.
Mounting should not be a problem,i'm going to order a billet mounting plate from GZ motor sports so i can put it on the passenger head,and order a mandrel pulley for the crank from them. i have everything else installed but a pump,and i did not want to $300 or more for the racing pumps.
http://www.gzmotorsports.com/index.html

Kev, as posted on DC, I have found a pump in my dusty old garage cabinet that been setting there for about 11 years now....turns out it was a FORD pump and it fits the car just fine....with a few modifications, as the LT1 FI mani on the L98 engine, and so I WAS running the breathless air pump kit, but it's a byby now....and so to figger out the new mountings for the FORD pump and too boot it's got a differant number on it than what you list...

but to prove it all works.....like I said there, a drill test proves it can do 15" vacuum easy....dunno about at what rpm though...that's the killer...

but it does 5" no sweat and 15 at full speed....this on the suck side measured with my vac gauge....

so when I get it mounted up and driven and plumbed in I will tell the tale....

but no bother talking of a project that don't work....not on this level anyway....

course if TT wants to actually DRIVE his car, I"D LOVE TO SEE VIDS....

:idea:

No problem Gene with 15" just so long as you do not go over that or your wrist pins will not get enough oil.
I have a pump ordered and it should be at the parts house tommorow morning,then all i have to do is mount it and install a mandrell on the crank,if it performs like i want then i am going to take it back off take it apart and bead blast it then use a 2 step chrome powder coat on it so it looks pretty.
Don't forget to put an air/oil seperatot before the pump,or any oil that gets in it will eat up the carbon vanes and then no more suck suck from the pump.:push:

I posted this over at that other place ;) :D ................

This may be totally
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

But I never claim to be a Hot Rod mechanic so set me strait if it is.....
sm_laughing.gif

Could you not just run a line into the tailpipe at a 45 and let the exhaust flow
create the vacuum. It seems it would create enough at highway speed and
that's where you could really use the extra HP anyhow.

I posted this over at that other place ;) :D ................

This may be totally
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

But I never claim to be a Hot Rod mechanic so set me strait if it is.....
sm_laughing.gif

Could you not just run a line into the tailpipe at a 45 and let the exhaust flow
create the vacuum. It seems it would create enough at highway speed and
that's where you could really use the extra HP anyhow.

No, it's not crazy.:D

That's fairly common practice on dragsters and such. They use a check valve welded on the exhaust @ the 45 degree angle. Moroso even sells those kits.

The exhaust as a vacume works very well, dragsters use it and have for a long time,they mount it in their headers,i was going to do that but after doing some reading on it i found that with a full length exhaust that set up does not work very well,the flow is restricted and it will not pull enough vacume :eek:h:

Made some progress today with the vacume pump,but i want a nice mounting bracket so i am ordering a billet alum bracket from March so it will match the rest of my serp system,so i will have to wait on that part :bump: but i had a nice surprise on my front porch today,my Dewitt's rad and dual spal system came in today :bounce: so i am going to work on that untill my brackets come in. hopefully next week everything will be installed and i will have some pic's.

You go trying to pull the radiator without help and there's gonna' be a killin'...

YOUR back is gonna' kill you.. No way it's healed up enough for that foolishness.

I had help or it would take me 3 days to do it :push: but Todd and myself just finished it up about an hour ago,he did most of the work :D.
Ordered alum mounts and pulleys from GZ motorsports for my vac pump and they should be here next week,should be able to finish that up in a couple of hours with a little help,i need to post some pics of the motor its looking real nice under there :eek:

Are you still in Italy? Todd would like to meet you and see your 69, thats what he has,think he would like to look at your wiring,somwhere in time Bubba did some wiring on his :suicide:

Still in Italy. Not sure that mine will be any better- I've seen Bubba has chopped some wiring in Ol' Red too. :shocking: But the secret is- I know what it's supposed to look like..:D

Todd has his motor out and has a 383 to put back in,but first he wanted to clean up the wiring and replace the vac hoses,and he has found things missing,some going no where,and a vac hose with a bolt in it. i figured out his vac hoses for the headlights and the one with the bolt in it is the washer hose for the headlights :eek:h: popped up the headlights and the washer nozzles are missing,and then we found out the washer bottle is gone,and it has the wrong wiper motor on it because the pump is not there :huh: found a melted wire and it melted the fibre optic's:suicide: Bubba was putting in some overtime.

Todd has his motor out and has a 383 to put back in,but first he wanted to clean up the wiring and replace the vac hoses,and he has found things missing,some going no where,and a vac hose with a bolt in it. i figured out his vac hoses for the headlights and the one with the bolt in it is the washer hose for the headlights :eek:h: popped up the headlights and the washer nozzles are missing,and then we found out the washer bottle is gone,and it has the wrong wiper motor on it because the pump is not there :huh: found a melted wire and it melted the fibre optic's:suicide: Bubba was putting in some overtime.

better off with fixed h/lights anyway, better off with no stock washer pump, use the aftermarket 15 bux pump, it works....going to need a bottle, obviously....I not a fan of fiber optics anyway....

:crutches:

I'm very interested in seeing how this works out. With my itb setup, i have some problems finding a good source for vacuum for all of the accesoires and the PCV. I could plumb the underside of the manifold with all kinds of tubes (IAC, PCV, vacuum) but it would get really crowded in there. So a good pump system that won't kill your wallet would be ideal.