Wheel hub bearing and seal, what to change

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
I'm starting do disassemble the front train and filling up a list of part to replace.
Speaking of the wheel hub bearings and seals , would you renew them anyway, or it takes clues of damage/ageing to take action.
The Haynes workshop manual is pretty vague on this point.
Thanks

The seals are cheap. Go ahead and replace them. The bearings, if not worn can be cleaned and repacked. However, the bearings are not that expensive either. It might be good insurance to replace them also.

There is also a felt ring behind the seal on the spindle.

I hope you can tell a bad bearing from the appearance, they typically turn a deep blue/maybe even brown and the surface is rough......it obviously needs changing....inspect all the rollers, I wash them off in gasoline, and air dry but had been letting them rotate in the air blast.....found out that is rather dangerous, as if that keeper explodes, bearings go all over the joint, up my ass, in my face, etc....

obviously when everything back together, it has to sound smooth as a baby's ass, no grinding/rough sound then flipped and you listening to the spindle through a stethoscope...

:friends:

Rock auto part reference on this one?
I also noticed some kind of gasket behind the dust shield, shooted of course, do I need to replace it, couldn't find it in rockauto inventory.

I also noticed some kind of gasket behind the dust shield, shooted of course, do I need to replace it, couldn't find it in rockauto inventory.

FROM VETTEMOD TECH SECTION
1969-up C3 Front Wheel Bearing Numbers

Timken inner bearing: LM48548
Timken inner race: LM48510

Timken outer bearing: M12649
Timken outer race: M12610

The gasket behind the seal is the felt ring I was talking about.

Thanks, I searched and found those tech post.
Talking about this particular felt ring, does rockauto sells it?

Thanks, I searched and found those tech post.

I know there is none on my '72, never was, this is all news to me.....15 years now....

I made that ring from gasket material, used the old one as a template - you can buy that material at the local parts store.

They were used on lots of cars but are seldom replaced. The just keep the hub from slinging grease that has seeped out. The old ones probably work fine for that.

Take a look at the surface on your spindles where the seal rides. Lots of times that area is pitted or scored. You want that to be nice and polished.