ball joint taper

Twin_Turbo

Der Maulwurf
What was the stock ball joint taper again? 1.5" per foot??

I've got a problem, my adjustable hemispherical upper ball joints have tapered studs that don't fit the spindle properly, they don't go in deep enough for me to get a cotter pin in there. So I'll need a proper reamer to enlarge the tapered hole in the spindle.

These are the adj. ball joints (and damn what a sore sight, rust EVERYWHERE :( )

24819ba2b7c0d3.jpg

Yeah they are 1.500tpf or sometimes called out as 7 degree taper.

I need one also also but they run about $100 for a good one. There are cheaper ones on Ebay (~$60) but they might only be good for cleaning out already existing holes. I don't know how suitable they would be for actual reaming.

Exactly, 100$ that's why I was hoping someone had one LOL The cheapenze crap is indeed only for cleaning up a hole, not for hogging one out.

Exactly, 100$ that's why I was hoping someone had one LOL The cheapenze crap is indeed only for cleaning up a hole, not for hogging one out.

Love to help you, the machine shop that did my inner tie rod adaptor block so to use stock tie rod ends....has ever damn reamer/taper bore in the book....

maybe I can ID a source???

:phone:

No, but I have several shipping addys in the US :) people I pester by filling up their homes & garages with stuff I buy LOL. I have parts lying all over the place, currently @ 4 different locations ranging from small stuff to wheels and complete race body panels :)

The Mc DOES accept Intl. Credit Cards tho! They love your money, just not shipping the stuff to you.

No, but I have several shipping addys in the US :) people I pester by filling up their homes & garages with stuff I buy LOL. I have parts lying all over the place, currently @ 4 different locations ranging from small stuff to wheels and complete race body panels :)

The Mc DOES accept Intl. Credit Cards tho! They love your money, just not shipping the stuff to you.

TFF....

:banghead::shocking:

Just did this a few weeks ago.

If you have access to a surface grinder and a collet fixture and or an angle fixture you can either dress the stone to your desired taper or just set the collect fixture to your taper and make a cutter out of an old end mill or even a decent drill bit.
End mills with more than 2 flutes work a little better than a drill bit to prevent chatter.

May be an option for you.

Lucky you .....:cry: