Winch for trailer

Fuelie74

What is everyone running for a winch on their trailers. I have an 18ft. open trailer and I am getting sick of put cars on it by the old point and pray method or with a come-a-long if they don't run. I have been looking at this winch and see it on sale for under $100 a couple times a year locally.
http://www.superwinch.com/UT3000__3_000lbs_Utility.html Is this enough winch or should I be looking for something better?

That's wayyy better than what I am using to pull cars in my garage (sloped driveway).... I have a manual winch and made myself a drill adapter.... I am using a $20 Harbor Freight manual winch and my drill to "power" it.... works fine but if you can get the winch you linked to for under $100 it's a good deal and a lot more "professional" than what I'm using :lol:

I have a Superwinch X3 model 1301 rated at 4000#. It hasn't let me down yet and no more trying to push a dead car up the ramps. loading cars by myself is a breeze

What is everyone running for a winch on their trailers. I have an 18ft. open trailer and I am getting sick of put cars on it by the old point and pray method or with a come-a-long if they don't run. I have been looking at this winch and see it on sale for under $100 a couple times a year locally.
http://www.superwinch.com/UT3000__3_000lbs_Utility.html Is this enough winch or should I be looking for something better?

My friend has one that looks like that not sure if the same or not. But it has pulled my 82 vette and 84 trans am up on a car trailer withe ease. However for a little extra peace of mind I would go with a 4-4500k lb winch 3k is at the lower level of what your average car weighs .... A 3500lb car breaking a cable and going where it wants isn't worth the liability factor for saving a few bucks.

A rolling car shouldn't be a problem, but dragging with flat tires etc might.
You can always get a "snatch block" with hook and double the capacity, but then the type and size cable is the limiting factor, 3/16" is only safe for around 3500#.

I've got a little bigger 8000# Ramsey and it will drain a good battery in a heartbeat. Had to setup decent dual batteries and 2 ga cable to the winch or you can trailer mount the battery with heavy charge wire.

Sounds like a good price for it anyway.
Always stand far away from the cable :drink:

Here in Jax/Clay co. Florida, I saw just yesterday.....a car being pulled by a pickem up....nothing but a chain between them at about 45 mph.....right down the main drag.....in traffic.....

redneck heaven......

:harhar::harhar::gurney: