Netural Saftey Switch/Column Reinstall??

Phill's Vette

I replaced the rag joint coupler in my 82 last weekend, the steering shaft side of the rag joint was pushed up into the column too far to connect correctly to the new coupler. Per Jim Shea's Steering Papers, I needed 5" of shaft for correct fitting - I had 3.5"

Anyway, his papers said I needed to remove the steering column to safely pull the shaft out to correct length which I did per his instructions. Got the shaft pulled out, lower bearings in great shape, coupler installed and column reinstalled. Hooked everything back up and as soon as I connect the battery, the starter lights up trying to start the car WITHOUT the keys in the ignition!

The Neutral Safety Switch is mounted to the column with two plugs, there are also multiple wiring harnesses throughout this area.

QUESTION: Could I have done something to the NS Switch or what?
No ignition problems before this, also have a fairly new ignition key switch installed.
Any ideas will help.

Thanks!

For all the world it sounds like the long 'wire' linkage between the mechanical ign. sw setup and the electrical part on the top/further down the column....is disconnected/fell outta position, and so the ign switch is in the start mode, and not being pulled to the top via that rod....or the rod is jammed in there....

its' mechanical, I bet....not electrickery...

:cool::D

x6kexc.jpg
Got it figured out...The aftermarket alarm system (Above) I had installed right after I bought the car.... a stuck relay. I removed this system from my wiring and patched it all up nicely - all good now!
:clap:
Looking at the wiring diagrams, I never realized just how entangled the factory Theft Deterrent System is throughout the wiring system - what a mess that would be to remove. Luckily for me, much of the old TDS was disabled by the PO's.

Thank you anyway for the help!
:thumbs:

Over the years, I guess it's been maybe 1/2 dzn cars I have completely rewired, and eliminated every vestige of any .gov requirement in the process.....

much less on a repair/maintenance basis for how many other vehicles....

out of every one, came a milk carton of wiring left over, looks like your above pix there, plus another 20x as much.....

:club::suicide: