Simoniz 12V cordless buffer is now useful!!!

Mr.Kiss

I was at Canadian Tire a couple of weeks ago, and i saw a Simoniz 6" 12V cordless buffer on sale for 40 bucks ... common sense told me to stay away from it, but for the money i could not turn it down. Well the stupid 12V ni-cad batteries would last 5 min and take 7 hours to charge and about the 4th time i charged the batteries, they went for shit and would not take a charge .... If you had a scratch in the paint it would take forever to polish it out ... so The tool was pretty much a waste of 40 bucks.:suicide:

I was a Home depot the other day and noticed that Ryobi batteries had the same connections as my cordless buffer batteries ... so i bought a Ryobi 18V lithium battery and a charger and headed home to hot rod my buffer ... the Ryobi battery fit right in and i just made a wire hook to keep the battery from falling out of the buffer .... i let it run for about 20 minutes and it never even got warm, but the rpm was alot faster ... i was getting pretty excited about my new tool ... but i was scared it spun to fast and would burn the paint.:stirpot:

I work for a cable company and i have a older van that the paint is shitty on, so i took it home and fired up the 18V cordless buffer to see what would happen ... well in about 40 min i had a cable van the shines better than the new ones we have ... and gave the nieghbors a good laugh and left my boss scratching his head.

So for the big test ... the paint on my Escalade is black and has swirl marks really bad in it. So i took some mothers scratch remover and my buffer and in an hour i had my caddy looking better than new and the battery had not run out in my buffer .... All i had to do was put some scratch remover on the buffing pad and let it float around on the vehicle and it turned out far better than i ever got from paying the detail shops to power polish it.

So for anybody looking for a small buffer consider this .... it is now an awsome tool for fixing paint and never blew up after an hour straight of buffing swirl marks out of my caddy.:yahoo:

8924c76f31aaa974.jpg

If i were to do it again i would just buy the ryobi 18V ni-cad batteries instead of 2 Lithium batteries ... my lithium batteries last an hour and charge in 45 min so i can go steady but i think with 3 nicad batteries you could go steady to and the nicads are only $45 as compaired to $110 for the big lithium ones.

So anyone looking for a small 6" buffer consider this ... It works awsome and the 6" buffer can get into all the hard places and it takes no elbow grease to polish the car now. I now longer feel ripped off, instead i am feeling pretty smart :D ... i guess until it blows up :( ... but so far so good ...

Awesome - it seems there's a little bit of McGyver in most of us....:lol:

I have 18V Ryobi tools since 2006 or so, the batteries last quiet a while. Only complaint I have is the 18V hedge trimmer, that thing is pretty much useless and a waste of $50 :lol:

Awesome - it seems there's a little bit of McGyver in most of us....:lol:

I have 18V Ryobi tools since 2006 or so, the batteries last quiet a while. Only complaint I have is the 18V hedge trimmer, that thing is pretty much useless and a waste of $50 :lol:

BEWARE, of the Ryobi 18 volt batteries....I have been nursing a couple along for over a year, never lasting long, and then not storing worth a flip....and so maybe a month ago one of them flamed out and started getting HOT and SMOKING on me....took it outta that drill super fast and tossed it on the lawn where it eventually stopped cooking it's ass off and cooled down...took some hours....

took it apart and found the typical C size nicad? batts in there and some of them looked rather ragged on the outer brown wrapping, but nothing really apparent....

took the other battery into a battery rebuild place here next door and so he rebuilt it new for 35 bux....

never did find out why it's sister decided to smoke....

the drill was dieing a slo death anyway...long since seen better daze...only been 4? years....heavy use for a household thing....

but I kept the flashlight, i'ts the best damn flash I have EVER used...set that SOB down, aim the light, and done....I find shop lights are a PIA, light up every damn thing BUT WTF I need to SEE....

with that flashlight, that shituation is no more.....

:hunter::club::D

Maybe i made the right choice buying the expensive lithium batteries then .... i buffed the whole caddy with mothers scratch remover ... did the hood and tailgate 2 times, and a little extra on some nasty scratches. Then buffed the whole caddy again with sealer and i only used up 2 batteries .... I love this little tool now ... even though i have $300 bucks in it ... my caddy shines better than it did new ... and my arms are not ready to fall off after a day of polishing ... which is worth the 300 in its self .... i thought for sure the 12V motor would let its smoke out when worked hard ... but it held together like a trooper