Network Security Help

68L71

I tried searching online but I am not sure what to believe. I have a small network with 8 computers and I want to have internet on the network, mainly for email and software updates. Right now we have a dedicated internet computer off the network but with more clients wanting more email communications it would be easier to have email access at all the work stations. The computers all have windows xp professional.

I think if I remove all the explorer shortcuts etc and tell them absolutely no non work related internet use on the network computers it will keep them off facebook etc.

Anything else I need beyond antivirus software? Is the XP pro firewall good enough?

I tried searching online but I am not sure what to believe. I have a small network with 8 computers and I want to have internet on the network, mainly for email and software updates. Right now we have a dedicated internet computer off the network but with more clients wanting more email communications it would be easier to have email access at all the work stations. The computers all have windows xp professional.

I think if I remove all the explorer shortcuts etc and tell them absolutely no non work related internet use on the network computers it will keep them off facebook etc.

Anything else I need beyond antivirus software? Is the XP pro firewall good enough?

I have 7 home PC's on my home wireless network. I have the XP firewall and macaffe antivirus on all PC's. Macaffe has cought many virus trying to get in. The combination works well. Never had a true spreading type virus. However, one of the PC's got the google redirect virus. I suspect that it came from a game site. It did not spread to the other computers like some virus can.

I am using netgear wireless/software and there are keywork blocks so that you can keep facebook and the likes off the network.

BTW, google redirect has been by far the toughest thing to fix...it just hides all over the damn system files.

My solution is SMEServer, a free, easy to install, easy to administrate, linux distro. Take an old computer with two network cards in it and install this Linux distro on it. It will give you the nothing gets in kind of protection. No attack from the outside.
PM me for more info.
On the other side, if your local network users do stupid things, you'd better install something like Avast Antivirus free edition + Spybot Search and Destroy.
Got to go now, I'll post more later if needed.

A hardware firewall works well.
I have found that Trend Micro seems to be the best anti-attack software out there and the right package gives you more than enough choices to lock out users on any machine for any purpose and pretty simple to use.
Nothing has ever got thru mine.

Thanks for the tips...it gives me a place to start looking.