Stripping paint

Cherry

DREAD NAUGHT
I read a posting here,, taking the paint off with a razor blade.. It this a better manner to strip off the paint, How about a Orbital hand sander, Noticed on the curving edges liquid paint remover,,, Any one ,, some suggestion as I have never worked with fiber glass,, just metal..

I tried paint remover but it didn't work on my cars. My painter advised against it, since small bits of it could get left in the small corners of the body.

I sanded it all off first with a sander an when the primer was showing through the rest by hand. Worked out well, but a lot (big lot) of work.

Did most of mine with the razor blade, no sticky mess at all.... no fumes.... no dust ... love it.....

I read a posting here,, taking the paint off with a razor blade.. It this a better manner to strip off the paint, How about a Orbital hand sander, Noticed on the curving edges liquid paint remover,,, Any one ,, some suggestion as I have never worked with fiber glass,, just metal..

Sounds like you are talking about my thread. Honestly, I think it would have been faster to just use the razor blade method on the whole car in my case. An orbital or DA would work, if you're careful...I didn't go that route, mainly because I haven't got my new compressor and air lines run yet (still getting the garage set up). The stripper I used mostly didn't go all the way to the primer anyway, but I am scrubbing the heck out of everything I used it on, with soap and water, just to be sure.

I used razor blades, and alot of elbow grease. All you need is alot of blades, beer, and friends that like to drink.:D

I used razor blades, and alot of elbow grease. All you need is alot of blades, beer, and friends that like to drink.:D

I did enough damage myself without others helping me - seriously: you will have a few spots where the blade digs into the smc or fiberglass but still it's not that big of a deal....
A box of 100 blades are $5.99 or so.... not all that expensive :)

I used razor blades to take off the finish color from my C3 and then I used Citrustrip to take it down to the bare Fiberglas. I left some areas that had too many complex curves and just used Citrustrip on those. All in all it took about 200 hours to do the entire body and doors. The results turned out very well.

Here is a pic of the completely stripped car.

DSC00308.jpg

This is the stripper I used. Water soluable so after I stripped the car, I took a pressure washer to it and cleaned it all down really well. Nothing like the feel of bare fiberglas.

DSC00202.jpg

Cost is about $13 a jug and it took me about 2.5 jugs to do my car.

You can get Cistrustrip at Home Depot.

Hope this helps.