Help Installing Bilstein Shocks

Criste

Thought this was going to be one of the simple ones, maybe overthinking...

Installing Bilstein HD shocks on front of the '82. No instructions, but how hard could it be. Just compare to the shock being removed right? Except of course they're different. Old Monroe shock has 2 bushings and 2 washers, the Bilstein has 3.

Then I tried to reason out how the 3 washers should be positioned. 2 of the washers are thicker with a hole approx the same size as the shock rod. The 3rd washer is thinner and the hole in the center is larger with a flange. I believe it's to help position the shock in the support, but can't figure out if it goes on top of the lower bushing or underneath the upper. Anyone already sorted this one out?

Thanks, Jerry

Normally it's from top to bottom, nut, washer, bushing, frame, bushing, washer, shock

Maybe the additional washer goes under the nut? Mine don't have it, never had. Must be a new addition.

I have seen them double nutted/locknut/jambnut setup sometimes, and even a lock washer.....but TT got it above there.....

I would have said it....shock stem, rim on it to catch the cupped washer, bushing with center flange up fits. to frame, insert assy, bolt from bottom with the two bolts, hope the lower A arm captive nuts are good, then up top again, rubber bushing, cup washer, whatever nutz there are for secure....:bounce::amazed:

Looks like top to bottom it's: Mutter, Teller, Gummipuffer, Karosserie, Teller, Gummipuffer, Teller :confused:

The diagram below shows the extra washer under the chassis:

44c6a929947f19.jpg

Looks like top to bottom it's: Mutter, Teller, Gummipuffer, Karosserie, Teller, Gummipuffer, Teller :confused:

The diagram below shows the extra washer under the chassis:

44c6a929947f19.jpg

That is the proper way. The steel washer with the larger shoulder goes underneath facing up to center it, and is underneath to maintain position during compression.

Thanks all for the info. My brother thought it went underneath to maintain position too. I had already stopped for the day when I spoke to him, so I checked with Bilstein support before I got home today and they told me the same thing. The shocks are now on the car and it will be ready to roll again once I get the exhaust and spare tire installed.

Thanks again to everyone for the assist.

This forum rocks!:bounce:

When I installed my Bilstein shocks I replaced brand new KYB shocks so I had a direct comparison between two shocks, not just some 100K mile old worn out stuff and brand new shocks.... often enough people buy new shocks but compare it to worn out shocks that are 20+ years old.... I assume that's one reason why many say KYB or Monroe shocks are great... :lol:

As a stock replacement yes, these shocks are ok... probably as good as original shocks when they were new....

with stiffer springs: Koni or Bilstein :thumbs: