65 T-Bird questions

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
A friend at my office has a very pretty 1965 Thunderbird convertible with a 390 CI engine, dual exhaust and an automatic transmission, all of which are believed to be original.. He isn't a car guy and doesn't do much on it himelf. He has had issues with an exhaust leak, overheating and leaking various fluids from most of the seals. I haven't even looked under the hood so don't have any impression of what it's like under there.

He took that car to a local shop and got the following recommendations.

1) "There are 2 broken bolts on the exhaust manifold. They say they have to pull the engine to repair this." Really?

2) "While the engine is out, might as well rebuild." Again, really? Anyone have a guess at a reasonable cost to remove, rebuild and replace a 390?

3) "Car isn't overheating. Just put a little less coolant in and it'll stop puking it out." Again, really? Really really?

I know nothing about these cars but some of these recommendations seem fishy.

Found a pic on line of the under hood. Doesn't look spacious, but not nearly as bad as working on a big block vette.

390tbirdunderhoodpic.jpg

Found a pic on line of the under hood. Doesn't look spacious, but not nearly as bad as working on a big block vette.

390tbirdunderhoodpic.jpg

No doubt the broken bolts are the top ones on the exhaust ports. FE's were notorious for this because the top holes are open on the backside and rust and time do their deed. In a Bird you do have to raise the engine for access to the bolt holes because the spring towers are in the way.

Before condeming the engine to needing a rebuild, the standard compression, leak down and oil pressure tests will confirm or deny this.

Not sure about the coolant issue, they have a surge tank and if it's overfilled will burp coolant when it gets hot and expands. The FE is for the most part a very tough and bullet proof engine that can take abuse and not give up.