When your Desert Eagle isn't enough.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
A great olde tyme photo, from back when......:thumbs:

Attachments

• Broadside.jpg
    Broadside.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 38
Be fun to be shot out of one of those!

The guy that sent me that pix today, I known for 45? years now, hotrodder, Fed cop, retired now finally....he used to work outta the Wash Naval Shipyard off the Potomac and Annacostia rivers in Wash DC......

his old building was the foundry that made ALL the Navy cannons used in WW2, so basically that was ALL of any ship's guns....from the 16" monsters down to the deck gun on a sub.....pea shooter.....

at that location there is the US Naval Museum full of Navy history going back to the colonial daze yet....and outside they have a piece of Jap armor about 2' thick, cut from the side of one of their battleships after the war....
it was a target for one of our 16" rounds fired from the tube on display next to it.....that piece of 2' thick steel was about 6-8' square, and the middle showed the forces of impact.....the striations and cracks, and un bee freeking LEAVEABLE force shown on that steel are just amazing....think that shell would have been nuclear powered or something,

stories outta Viet Nam where the NJ? actually sank a island, kong went out to shell it with a peashooter, one broadside and the whole freeking island went into the sea.....:bounce:

I have a small collection of nautical antiques, so am a bit of a bug on that sorta shit....spent 53 years outside DC and Annapolis/Chesapeake Bay next door, kinda rubs off.....but the collection in that museum where Larry used to work is SO fine, it's worth the trip alone....

:thumbs: