A Quiz

Kid Vette

Master-Baiter
Here is a pic that was in a recent issue of Muscle Machines of Grumpy Jenkins working on his "Toy". Notice anything unusual?

If you read the magazine please don't give away the answer.

534c622810974f2.jpg

I can't think of the right term but the part of the carb that fits inside the air cleaner looks modified.

That pix was taken at Capitol Racetrack in Bowie Maryland, about 5 miles from my sister's old place, back in the '60's.....

the sign said...."Tracktion Capitol of the Nation......

radio addy's said 'traction action' something like that....

carbs have 2 choke horns, 2nd one cut from other carb held on w/ little plates and 4 screws

Oh, I was thinking that his fag ash was about to fall and maybe blow into one of the carbs ;)

I subtract my entire comment as it's been maybe 50 years since hearing of a cigarette that I didn't notice in the pix.....being referred to as a 'fag'......I understand you being Aussie and so do still use the term...here it means something a whole lot different.....

Jesus, must be a slo day or something.....2nd time today....

GENE

Last edited:
Oh, I was thinking that his fag ash was about to fall and maybe blow into one of the carbs ;)

I don't understand the insult....Jenkins was a good fellow the way I remember anyway....famous '60's dragracer...engine man....:club::goodevil:

Gene, a "fag" is/was a nickname years ago for a cigarette (before the term became used for guys who play for "the other team").

I don't understand the insult....Jenkins was a good fellow the way I remember anyway....famous '60's dragracer...engine man....:club::goodevil:

Gene, a "fag" is/was a nickname years ago for a cigarette (before the term became used for guys who play for "the other team").

:hissyfit:;) I amended my post, I hadn't heard that term for cigarette for some 1/2 a century now.....

and didn't notice the smoking, so much a part of any old pix...especially a black and white photo....

:hissyfit::crylol:

carbs have 2 choke horns, 2nd one cut from other carb held on w/ little plates and 4 screws
Saw that too. But what's the point? Don't most people remove the choke horn on a race carb?

I think it flows better...I read a comparison once and cutting off the horn f'd things up. Something to do with flow vilocity. TT what do you say?

Saw that too. But what's the point? Don't most people remove the choke horn on a race carb?

I think it flows better...I read a comparison once and cutting off the horn f'd things up. Something to do with flow vilocity. TT what do you say?

TT, you probably know more, but I heard it described as a trumpet in reverse...the larger air intake gets compressed in volume and therefore veloticy down near the throat....

then I have also heard it's bullshit and not shown....

same as the much thought of TPIS little flow aide device they used to sell for t-bodies on '80's TPI cars....

OK, here's the caption,

"Biil Jenkins used to use Cecil County as his home test track. I was there when Bill came down from Pennsylvania all by himself. He had his car on a truck, He took out these four big, brand-new Holley carburetors and clamped them into a vise that he had mounted on the bed of his truck. He then took a hack saw and sawed each carburetor in half by hand. He explained that Holley didn't build a caburetor that suited his needs, so he decided to just make one using the primary halves of two Holley carburetors. So he took rivets and epoxy and put the primary halves together, basically making his own carburetors there at the track. Then he bolted them on a dual four-barrel manifold and took the car onto the track. I don't remember the exact times but I do remember he was running a lot quicker than anyone at Cecil County."

Gotta love it.:smash:

OK, here's the caption,

"Biil Jenkins used to use Cecil County as his home test track. I was there when Bill came down from Pennsylvania all by himself. He had his car on a truck, He took out these four big, brand-new Holley carburetors and clamped them into a vise that he had mounted on the bed of his truck. He then took a hack saw and sawed each carburetor in half by hand. He explained that Holley didn't build a caburetor that suited his needs, so he decided to just make one using the primary halves of two Holley carburetors. So he took rivets and epoxy and put the primary halves together, basically making his own carburetors there at the track. Then he bolted them on a dual four-barrel manifold and took the car onto the track. I don't remember the exact times but I do remember he was running a lot quicker than anyone at Cecil County."

Gotta love it.:smash:

You know, I thought I saw a seam going down, but was afraid to state that. I feel better about that now.

Wouldn't that effectively make it a "double pumper"? I can't imagine the hacking two carbs in half and then epoxying them back together. Seems like way too much margin for error.