Cannonball runs.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Oh man, talk of another throwback to back when life was easy and FUN....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donna_Mae_Mims

the mere mention of her and the cannonball runs, from SO long ago....

anyone remember the runs?? and the reasons it was done??

I remember it was a reaction to the EPA, unleaded gas, Nader safety mavens, and general decline of the automobile.....

Far as I'm concerned the only thing to save cars as we know them is the electronic industry, cheep tronics via computers....

:eek::thumbs:

My Girlfriend wants a (Pink) Corvair convertible. She googled "Pink Corvair Convertible" and this article about Donna Mae Mims popped up. This Lady was WAY COOL and ahead of her time, racing and competing in an area dominated by men.

Yeah Gene, I am a few yrs. younger than you, but not by that much. I remember odd/even gas rationing days and plying the CB radio waves for "priviledged" information about road conditions from the truckers. I also remember the truckers driving abreast of each other on the interstates at exactly 55 mph and not letting anyone pass, in protest of the "New" national 55 mph speed limit. Those were the days when you still had a chance to outrun a police car, if you had the power, the nerve and the skill. Nowadays there is so much hi tech stuff working against you that you can't have any fun any more.