My son the wannabee mechanic....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
So it seems that my son Tom, who is on my emailing list some of you all maybe noticed, wants to put his 5 years old degree in Child Psych to some good use,

and has a job as a budding auto mechanic, he calls a hour ago and says how another guy at the shop managed to disconnect a Volvo battery wire up at the engine and instantly fried some computer because the battery is in the trunk....

and cussing Volvo for using wheel BOLTS, not studs....

making it a trick to even change a freeking tire....something that Mercedes is famous for, I seen that one some years ago....

so I told him to forget being a CAR mechanic, get some cert ASE in anything, preferable electrical.....and be a MARINE mechanic.....typically more room to work, more pleasant conditions, can charge damn near anything, and a upscale clientele.......

PLENTY of work as electricity and salt water don't MIX well, so he has a decent job forever....

What do you all think?? I gotta talk further, with him on this occupation...maybe learn auto trannies and work in a air conditioned shop??

or get some training and learn AIRCRAFT.....but trick there is all the ex .mil guys with that experiences already....

:smash::fishing:

So it seems that my son Tom, who is on my emailing list some of you all maybe noticed, wants to put his 5 years old degree in Child Psych to some good use,

Why not work in a school as a psychologist or some state position in dept of child welfare?
In these areas he will be using the content of his degree.

Why not work in a school as a psychologist or some state position in dept of child welfare?

Because he is GENE'S son! Pretzel logic!

Apology

Sorry Gene, I couldn't resist that one.

How old is your son?

Talking to some kids (like my 19 y.o. daughter) is like talking to a wall. They dig in and will not listen, they have to make their own mistakes.
Hopefully your son is smarter than my daughter, she frustrates me to no end. All I get from talking with her is heartburn!:surrender:

How old is your son?

Talking to some kids (like my 19 y.o. daughter) is like talking to a wall. They dig in and will not listen, they have to make their own mistakes.
Hopefully your son is smarter than my daughter, she frustrates me to no end. All I get from talking with her is heartburn!:surrender:

:surrender:
My daughter is 32 and I get the same heartburn from her.

Aircraft mechanics is a decent job. Problem is paying the dues for 20 years before it starts to be really worthwhile. And anymore, getting a mechanics' job with a major airline is an exercise in frustration. And once you do get in the door, getting a lay-off notice is a daily wait. And before that, be ready for 36 months in an approved school to get the licenses.

I agree. Is he going back for his PHD? Why not encourage him to follow his original path?

How old is your son?

Tom is 26, my daughter is 28, and I don't wanna talk about daughters....ok???

actually she is more or less tolerable these daze....just hate seeing her get her butt beat .....long story on that...nothing stupid, just funny as hell....I still grin upon the recollection....of 13.5 years ago....

I have tried for the last 5 years to get him to go after schools or whatEVER he can find in his field of training, but so it seems he need some teaching credentials/training....

and I have a suspicion it's not for him, really....he shows little to no interest...

Just hope he finds a decent career in something stable, not a dieing industry like electronics that I was in....always more and more for less and less, can't make a living doing that shit, period....not for the long term anyway....

Tom took 20 credits each of his last 2 semesters, on account of he was bored...GTF outta there....been drifting around the park service, bars, restaurants, ski resorts, the like up in the mountains for 5 years....but he tired of living outta his Jeep Cherokee forever, I guess....

:devil::eek::twitch::surrender:

but nothing changes, I remember looking into the trunk of one of my Pontiacs about 40+ years ago, and thinking that there lies my whole life....

:push::surrender::twitch:

Gene,

You know Tom will not earn decent money or have any security working for a big company, especially in an entry level position. Why not coach him in the "trades", teach him to swing a hammer, a spackle blade and a paint brush. If he wants to take it further and go for a licensed trade (electrician, plumber) he can at least earn half decent money along the way. Tom can have his own small business, advertise locally and work close to home. If he still wants to turn wrenches help him find him his OWN project car.

He GOT a project Jeep, and that's enough for now...

My wife Linda has a client that does pretty good as a marine mechanic...and if Tom wanted to learn the trade and have a IN for training...that would be a good resource.....but he all into California so no go on that one here in Florida...

hell of a commute...

:surrender:

same kind of answers with my girl.... every time I try and help she has a reason why it won't work. They gotta do it their own way. Only problem is they don't realize how much stress they put on us and how fast it ages us.

same kind of answers with my girl.... every time I try and help she has a reason why it won't work. They gotta do it their own way. Only problem is they don't realize how much stress they put on us and how fast it ages us.

Well, Tomcat seems to survive just like a cat, so what can I say??

his main trouble is this LONG list of women he has dated, and nothing at all serious develops, methinks they figger out he has nothing going in the money/career dept. and move on.....but thats' something he needs figger out himself, I suppose....

so I guess Marine Mechanic is the way to go for him, being in a good position in a marina full of yachts will keep him busy and in shape for decades...

unlike getting fat behind a .gov desk.....

:smash::smash: and yes, I have shown him on many job sites over various summers.....most all about construction, remodeling....

one job here, he told me later on about how he was freeking out as I tore the living shit outta all the joists, a house support column, and was standing there in the middle of the beams, while he cut new joists for the floor we put in, all nice and plumb/square, how I redid all the rough in plumbing and electricals too, but it's nothing I aint done 50 billion time before....well maybe not THAT much, but it sure feels like it....:eek::bomb:

and he helped me lay in the 16' rafters on the room addition, and put steel in the kitchen ceiling here to redistribute the load, as I moved a bearing utility wall, adding 100' to the kitchen area....

Last edited:
Get a federal job using the degree. Maybe special agent, hours etc very flexible. Got a couple friends that are special agents, can't beat the benefits etc. If I had it to do all over again that's what I would do. You can still do lots of other stuff on the side and retire very early.

If you can't fix the govrnment, join it.:bounce:

Get a federal job using the degree. Maybe special agent, hours etc very flexible. Got a couple friends that are special agents, can't beat the benefits etc. If I had it to do all over again that's what I would do. You can still do lots of other stuff on the side and retire very early.

If you can't fix the govrnment, join it.:bounce:

I keep trying to tell them, especially Tom, the same thing....they insist the .gov ain't hiring....

which is why it's where we are now....

decades ago, an old friend/neighbor owned the largest land locked marina in Maryland....Rockville, I understand he got disgusted some years ago and closed the joint down tight....but he started out as a marine mech , bought the bosses out when they retarred, and then bought another joint where he was for some/couple decades....

:drink::gurney: