Diagnostic tool for isolating air in lines?

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
I found a version of the following tool at a swap meet this weekend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Disc...Z200503873876QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

I was thinking to myself that if you combined the sensor of the tool with a worn flat brake pad, you could use this tool to isolate which corner where you are having air bubbles when having trouble with a soft pedal or distribution block light coming on. On several occasions, I've had one bad line or caliper leaking air, but you end up having to bleed all four corners to solve it.

Anyone ever used one of these?

Mike, not directed at YOU particularly but I seriously fail to see why anyone has such problems with these brakes since the advent of O ring pistons and SS lined castings....

I feel anyone can argue the 'feel' of the brakes, but ditching the caliper springs, doing O rings, and having the obvious SS lined calipers...

just a decent runout, easily felt with finger tips like any other car....

and if any question over some proportioning valve, just eliminate it...

even befor the hydroboost coversion, that was the final outcome of my brakes...and I can assure you all, it took damn near TEN years of fiddling around to find out WTF it took, and they been fine for over 4 years now....

:stirpot:

I think you're missing the point Gene. What I'm getting at is would this work?

IMO, NO, I don't see how, the pressure is X lbs at say the rear main line, it divided equally between the two rear calipers via the splitter block, if one has air, they both drop pressure...but it remains equal...

I curious what one of the engineers sez....:eek::confused2:

IMO, NO, I don't see how, the pressure is X lbs at say the rear main line, it divided equally between the two rear calipers via the splitter block, if one has air, they both drop pressure...but it remains equal...

I curious what one of the engineers sez....:eek::confused2:

I'm curious too. I'm not positive it would show anything from side to side, but perhaps front to back?

I've never used one. I can see how it might be useful for detecting stuck pistons and front to back balance.

Have you used it yet?

I've never used one. I can see how it might be useful for detecting stuck pistons and front to back balance.

Have you used it yet?

No. Too cheap to buy it. I wanted to think through how I'd use it first. With a single piston caliper it would be easy. Less easy to see how it would work with a 4 piston one.

Have you used it yet?

No. Too cheap to buy it. I wanted to think through how I'd use it first. With a single piston caliper it would be easy. Less easy to see how it would work with a 4 piston one.

I fail to see how it's useful at all, for much of anything on brakes....disc/drum/Cx what ever, any vehicle....

which is why I wonder.....:twitch::eek: