Robbed

SmokinBBC

Thieves broke into my garage last night. It is an attached 3 car garage with a deadbolt into the house. They did not get into the house...otherwise it might have been really messy.

Bastards took my compressor, chain saw and weed whacker. Got into my wifes car and took her purse and my sons Tom Tom. Purse had a few bucks in it, DL and some credit cards.

All credit cards cancelled...no transactions on them luckily...hopefully the bastards try to use one and get nailed. DL cancelled and wife is getting a new one.

They did not take any of my large roller tool chests which are full. They did not take any of my special tools like LM1 and the likes.....got lucky on those. I have some original numbered car parts in there worth quite a bit. They did not touch the vette.

Police report filed, credit card companies contacted and local DMV contacted. I have yet to call my insurance company. Talked with the neighbors and no-one else hit. Anything I am forgetting to do?

I might check the local pawn shops over the weekend.

Last edited:
Man that sucks! In addition to the pawn shop try the local flea market - a lot of stolen goods get sold there - craigslist too, ebay.....

Glad there was no additional "drama" - just material stuff.

My Mother in Law used to say "If money can fix it, it is not a problem". She was a very good Lady.... Glad you are all OK.

Much as a cuss that damn Chiwawa my wife has, (I got suckered into replacing her dawg that died of old age).....I gotta say that damn FAT dawg can hear a gnat fart on the backside of the MOON, and I not exaggerating either.....

judging by the fact it's the fattest Chiwawa on earth, you can feed it off table scraps alone, costing nothing .....

:devil::thumbs::smash:

OH, and obviously, sorry for the losses....BTDT......

Last edited:
I thought about the neighborhood kids....I have 3 sons, 2 in HS and one in college. All grew up in this hood and know almost all the kids. They have already started through their networks. If it was a neighborhood kid, there is a good chance that we'll find out.

I'll be checking the bay and craigslist as well any flee market.

I have a loudmouth dog which barks at anything...provided he's not sleeping.....once he's out for the evening, you have a hard time hearing anything over his snoring! Yes, he friggin snores like a freight train. He's a great little dog, but I'm afraid a watchdog he is not.

The thieves know what I have now, so I have to get some more security. I might have to get an alarm system, motion lights or some kind of camera system.

I am sorry to hear this. I have always said that if thieves put the effort into a job that they do into stealing, they would do well.

As for forgetting, you seem to have it covered well, but I would contact the big 3 credit agencies, and let them know as well.:thumbs:

I am sorry to hear this. I have always said that if thieves put the effort into a job that they do into stealing, they would do well.

As for forgetting, you seem to have it covered well, but I would contact the big 3 credit agencies, and let them know as well.:thumbs:

Yes...good point. Credit agencies. Thanks.

Sorry man....sounds like it could have been worse, but getting robbed it always shitty.

They did not take any of my large roller tool chests which are full. They did not take any of my special tools like LM1 and the likes.....got lucky on those. I have some original numbered car parts in there worth quite a bit. They did not touch the vette.

My Public Storage unit was broken into. Only a few minor things were missing. I was happy they didn't steal my valuable car parts and my 69 Corvette. The Corvette, in 1990, was show room stock; BB with 3X2 carbs.. Actually being in a Public Storage unit I didn't think they could ever take the car. I thought the thieves were just some kids looking for a few quick to sale items. I was wrong. It was an exploratory break in. They returned and go the car and many NOS car parts and good quality collectable used parts. They got all this stuff when they broke into the unit a second time. I did get some insurance coverage. They breakin was, I'm sure, organized by the Public Storage lot manager. They surveillance camera was "not working" when the theft occured.

The message here is that if they left a lot of valuable stuff untouched, they might be back.

Last edited:
That sucks Paul, glad you and your family weren't hurt and that you didn't lose much.

It's a shame you can't include something like this in your security upgrade...
US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

Now I say a couple of tricks I have done here to my garage door and mimic security system....

first off, obtain a legit security system sign, or one that certainly looks legit...I have one in my front window...that is about 95% of the effectiveness of any monitored system, I worked for a few weeks in that trade, inside knowledge they don't tell anyone....

second, off my garage door opener, you note most of them have LED lit buttons on them, so what I did was mount a Radio shack magnetic burglar alarm contact magnet to the top edge of my garage door, the contacts glued to the wood frame, when door opens contacts open, the power comes from across the pushbutton switch which is always lit...the LED indicator is a single red LED mounted very conspicuously on the living room wall, easily seen by anyone coming in a window, AND from down the bedroom hallway....when the door is down, like at night, the red LED in the blank wall, near some pictures is LIT....door down, secure.....had to put a resistor in series with the LED to limit the current, think it was 330 ohm...maybe 1K....I forget......

now you maybe want to follow through with some elementary wiring and LEDs on more walls so you can see from anywhere in the house if that garage door is open.....for that matter, an audible alarm is easily rigged,

some old ET's I worked with had rigged a audio alarm to their stereo shop front door....the way it worked was a switch to a simple Sonalert/beeper, they had a switch in series with it, open door, switch closed in this case...just the opposite of the typical burglar alarm magnetic switch Radio Shack USED to sell them too....but the problem was any time the door was open the alert drove them krazy in back....so....fire a one meg resistor across a capacitor of say 20 mfd or so, DC power like 12 volts...switch is open, door is closed, no load across capacitor, cap is charging through one meg ohm resistor, switch closes, indicating door opens, the sonalert is put across the cap which it beeps full volume, slowly fading as the cap discharges....with the one meg resistor the sonalert draws too much power and of course is silent, cap being discharged.....

same thing for your garage door.....

:thumbs::shocking:

Change the code on your garage door opener. The bad guys get garage door openers and drive through the neighborhood pushing the buttons and looking for an opening door. A friend of mine is a cop and arrested some guys for B&E and said they had a half dozen garage door openers on the front seat.

My Public Storage unit was broken into. Only a few minor things were missing. I was happy they didn't steal my valuable car parts and my 69 Corvette. The Corvette, in 1990, was show room stock; BB with 3X2 carbs.. Actually being in a Public Storage unit I didn't think they could ever take the car. I thought the thieves were just some kids looking for a few quick to sale items. I was wrong. It was an exploratory break in. They returned and go the car and many NOS car parts and good quality collectable used parts. They got all this stuff when they broke into the unit a second time. I did get some insurance coverage. They breakin was, I'm sure, organized by the Public Storage lot manager. They surveillance camera was "not working" when the theft occured.

The message here is that if they left a lot of valuable stuff untouched, they might be back.

Yes. I am worried that they know what I got now.

Man, losing that vette must have been a heartbreaker.

Change the code on your garage door opener. The bad guys get garage door openers and drive through the neighborhood pushing the buttons and looking for an opening door. A friend of mine is a cop and arrested some guys for B&E and said they had a half dozen garage door openers on the front seat.

Garage door opener...shit, I didn't think to check if they snatched those out of the vette. Need to check that when I get home. Mine and the wifes car have these built in, but the vette just has the remote unit...hopefully they didn't get those. Fortunately, my door system has a lockout that I can use for the time being.

All remotes accounted for....sheesh.

Last edited:
Years ago, when I wired home tracts up, we installed "vacation" switches.
Install a switch just inside the garage/rear door that turns off the garage door receptacle.
When your in for the night, or on vacation, turn the opener off.

Those motion sensor lights just outside the garage also seem to help. I know they spook me sometimes.