69 BB Camaro, will HEI fit?

1Fordman

Have an extra HEI and would like to put it in my son's 69. To these old eyes it looks like the HEI and the firewall will be competing for the same space.

Checking the Camaro forums, some say yes, some say no and some say to fine tune the firewall with an 8 pound hammer which is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

Good question. I assume the interference is caused by the HEI with a coil in the cap, correct?

I guess I have a question of my own about this. Is the 80's & 90's "small cap" (separate coil) HEI interchangeable with the earlier HEI? If so, maybe it will fit.

Good question. I assume the interference is caused by the HEI with a coil in the cap, correct?

I guess I have a question of my own about this. Is the 80's & 90's "small cap" (separate coil) HEI interchangeable with the earlier HEI? If so, maybe it will fit.

ELECTONICALLY yes....but methinks the connectors are different....

my '91 F body wiring diagrams were drawn for the small dizzy/external coil, bur remarked for the L98 large dia dizzy which worked fine....

:shocking:

The 80's and 90's disributors are EST distributors, not HEI distributors. I don't recall ever seeing a small cap HEI.

The later EST distributor IS a small cap HEI, the 80? up EST coil in cap is also a HEI, just EST controlled instead of mechanically.

The later EST distributor IS a small cap HEI, the 80? up EST coil in cap is also a HEI, just EST controlled instead of mechanically.

Sorry, I'm just used to internal GM lingo. We always made a distinction between HEI and EST distributors (because we designed the electronics and it's nice to know which setup the guy was talking about) and with the exception of the cap, there weren't many interchangeable parts.

One of my first design projects out of college was a redesign of the control IC in the EST module (7TM). Worked great, but not enough of a cost savings to pay for all the re-certification that would have been required to go into production.

I think you'll notice in my posts that I never interchange EST and HEI. I also can't bring myself to calling aftermarket clones as HEI distributors. Electronic ignitions, HEI clones perhaps, but not HEI.

Sorry, I'm just used to internal GM lingo. We always made a distinction between HEI and EST distributors (because we designed the electronics and it's nice to know which setup the guy was talking about) and with the exception of the cap, there weren't many interchangeable parts.

One of my first design projects out of college was a redesign of the control IC in the EST module (7TM). Worked great, but not enough of a cost savings to pay for all the re-certification that would have been required to go into production.

I think you'll notice in my posts that I never interchange EST and HEI. I also can't bring myself to calling aftermarket clones as HEI distributors. Electronic ignitions, HEI clones perhaps, but not HEI.

Ahh, in another age, back when you were doing that, the little work I did we had to deal with the same thing....and translate to the 'public' we dealt with...usually other engineers and techs IF we got lucky....:lol:

same shit, different house....smell the same.....:stirpot:

but electronically in the conversation it conducts with the computer, they ARE compatible if wired right, ....mine works anyway....

:D

Ahh, in another age, back when you were doing that, the little work I did we had to deal with the same thing....and translate to the 'public' we dealt with...usually other engineers and techs IF we got lucky....:lol:

but electronically in the conversation it conducts with the computer, they ARE compatible if wired right, ....mine works anyway....

No, they're NOT compatible. You are using an EST distributor in your EFI setup. The OP is asking about a (standalone) HEI distributor.

Last edited:

No, they're NOT compatible. You are using an EST distributor in your EFI setup. The OP is asking about a (standalone) HEI distributor.

:flash: Yeh, I had to go back and read the thread, never saw a car where a HEI could not be used in place of a points dizzy....but I not a F body owner....

the new computer HEI, what you call EST? is essentially the same rig but computer controlled.....like the newer smaller one used in late F body cars with external coil....and with a wiring pin out, they are compatible with the computer HEI/EST.....

damn englush gets in the way....

:hissyfit:

To the OP: FWIW, I recall a buddy of mine with a '68 Camaro small block. He tried to put an HEI distributor in his, and the firewall modifications (via ballpeen hammer) still didn't make it clear. I'm assuming the '69 firewall is similar to a '68, and a bigblock would only make things worse.

Just my speculation.

Acording to the dimensions in the Chevy Power book, the dimension from the bellhousing mount face to the distributor center line, a SBC=2.18" and BBC=2.20". Sounds like a problem for both.

Thanks for the replies, it won't fit without some major fine tuning of the firewall with an 8 pound "persuader"! Found a shop in Nevada that transforms the stock points style distributor into an HEI style unit with external coil.

Years ago there was an adaptation of the Chrysler SS ign setup to the GM dizzy, I think it used the GM points too, if memory serves.....

I dunno if it's any advantage....

:stirpot: