Will a C5 bell housing fit a Gen1 motor?

BangkokDean

I am in the process of building an early 50 GMC truck and have an 1988 350 already and I have found over here a crashed C5 with out a motor but the drive line is all their. I am looking to buy it if it will bolt up to my motor. It has an automatic mounted to the rear and is complete.

My other option is to buy a used later model motor say out of a Camaro and use that instead of the 88 motor, but to ship and pay the duty on the used motor will be costly.

?????

Last edited:
The C5 uses a torque tube, the bell itself will bolt up (not all bolts) but it's completely useless. Get an engine mounted tranny from another LS series car.

The C5 uses a torque tube, the bell itself will bolt up (not all bolts) but it's completely useless. Get an engine mounted tranny from another LS series car.

Thanks TT, Please explain why it is no good if it all bolts up to the 88 motor? I was interested in the 4 wheel independent suspension plus the cool factor.

Do you have room for a rear mounted trans? If there is a wheelbase difference you have to lengthen the torque tube. Such a big hassle, a conventional setup is much easier.

That transmission requires a computer to run it and inputs from the engine. MAP, TPS, RPM etc.

Do you have room for a rear mounted trans? If there is a wheelbase difference you have to lengthen the torque tube. Such a big hassle, a conventional setup is much easier.

That transmission requires a computer to run it and inputs from the engine. MAP, TPS, RPM etc.

OK I get the picture. I guess its back to the drawing board. Maybe a C4 rear will work better.

Thanks that just saved me some $ and a big headache, way to go Vettemod.:friends:

EFI connection has an X54 system that will run everything w/ LS electronics, they have an electronic throttle for TPI (OBD1) systems