Cheetah alternator mounting

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
34c4e5b72bd529.jpg

How is this for an alternative mounting point guys? Maybe Mike would like to try this one?

I've seen that on sailboats before - even considering on mine. Use the propshaft for amps under sail. Some extra drag (and a bit of noise) - but nothing's free!
Keep the Cheetah pics coming - I have a few I've 'mined and always enjoy more.
BTW my Solstice coupe is some what reminiscent of the lines. thum_12694c4eadf0bbeca.jpg

I've seen that on sailboats before - even considering on mine. Use the propshaft for amps under sail. Some extra drag (and a bit of noise) - but nothing's free!
Keep the Cheetah pics coming - I have a few I've 'mined and always enjoy more.
BTW my Solstice coupe is some what reminiscent of the lines. thum_12694c4eadf0bbeca.jpg

It's a shame they killed the Solstice/Sky cars off....should have given them to Buick kept ONE of the name, anyway....another classic GM fuckup....

:hissyfit::hissyfit:

34c4e5b72bd529.jpg

How is this for an alternative mounting point guys? Maybe Mike would like to try this one?

I tried to figure out a similar placement back there when I had the frame under construction, but I could never figure out how to package it without cutting the tunnel (I didn't want to have to modify the body for the new suspension installation), or without it being so low that it would get drowned by rainwater off a wet track, or ripped off during an off-track excursion. I liked the idea of moving ten pounds of weight back six feet, and over to the right a foot, but it just didn't work out.

What happens if you are sitting in traffic? Electric fans, headlights, radio, ignition system? Wouldnt that drain the battery? Seems only practical on a race car that is only stopped for a few minutes

What happens if you are sitting in traffic? Electric fans, headlights, radio, ignition system? Wouldnt that drain the battery? Seems only practical on a race car that is only stopped for a few minutes

You have a point there.
Of course in the Cheetah, that battery would work the only load, 4 amperes ignition, for a LONG time.

I did that same thing on the Triumph racer for likely the same reasons. Engine bay is full and racers don't sit with headlights fans, and AC for very long.

Kinda proud my problem solving was deemed worthy on a Cheetah!!

diff-alt001.jpg

BTW, that adjuster strap is long gone.....

Last edited:
Oh - Great!
ANOTHER PROJECT -
Now the rear end gets; a 6-link,
Raise the Diff, and
an Alternator Mount--- ARGGGH -- it never ends does it!?
Oh yeah - cut up the interior to accomodate all.

Looks very nice BTW...
Cheers - Jim

Oh - Great!
ANOTHER PROJECT -
Now the rear end gets; a 6-link,
Raise the Diff, and
an Alternator Mount--- ARGGGH -- it never ends does it!?
Oh yeah - cut up the interior to accomodate all.

Looks very nice BTW...
Cheers - Jim

:shocking::hissyfit: By time this group gets done, not a stock shark remains on the landscape.....

:pprrtt::beer::1st:

I have seen that style mounting on high dollar street rods in the magazines and always thought was a good option.