Help me pick a clutch and flywheel

70_shark

The auto to manual conversion is coming to a close. All I need is the clutch/Pressure plate, flywheel and clutch fork pivot stud. This will be behind a ZZ502 and in front of a M-20. I have a '621' bell housing. This vehicle will probably never see the strip but will see occasional aggressive street usage (those pesky modern vehicles who want to take me when the light turns green). I have a very modest budget but do not want to buy junk that I will have to replace often. Your help will be appreciated.
Thanks -Dan

OK... I need to pull the trigger because I need to get this puppy back on the road this summer. I'm thinking of going with a Centerforce dual friction with a GM performance flywheel. Any comments/concerns/suggestions?

OK... I need to pull the trigger because I need to get this puppy back on the road this summer. I'm thinking of going with a Centerforce dual friction with a GM performance flywheel. Any comments/concerns/suggestions?

Centerforce sucks. Have yet to see/hear of a good one.

I have not seen/heard a lot of good feedback for Centerforce - thought about buying Centerforce when I installed the TKO.... they (Keisler) recommended a Sachs clutch and so far so good, however, I only have a mild 383, not a 502.....

Big2birg,
I realize that these are stamped out common pieces. I know nothing about them or reliability. That is the point of this post. Is there something out there that will last several seasons that won't cost me an arm and both legs.
MyBad79,
The Sachs clutch looks great but I do not want to throw a $1000 dollars at this.

Many have recommended an aluminum flywheel, but wow they are expensive. Seems like over-kill for my situation.

It looks that I'm going to have to spend my whole 2010 season budget on this setup. Ouch!

Big2birg,
I realize that these are stamped out common pieces. I know nothing about them or reliability. That is the point of this post. Is there something out there that will last several seasons that won't cost me an arm and both legs.
MyBad79,
The Sachs clutch looks great but I do not want to throw a $1000 dollars at this.

Many have recommended an aluminum flywheel, but wow they are expensive. Seems like over-kill for my situation.

It looks that I'm going to have to spend my whole 2010 season budget on this setup. Ouch!

Medium exspense, get a McLeod. Cheap street, I use Lokar. They are every bit as good as stock GM was when the car was new.
Light flywheels are hard on the street. I can't say as I would recommend one. Ask TimAT about driveability on his LS7 with L88 flywheel.

I have a Hays billet steel flywheel (30lbs) and a Zoom clutch on my 460 (532 ftlbs/~480hp).

Around 5k on both, no problems no slipping. I don't spin the engine past 5800. Shifting at 5400 to 5500 is not a problem. M20.

Last edited:
My Centerforce 2 is about 5 years old..the last 3 behind my supercharged 383. 625+ rwhp, 595 rwtq. Flawless so far....:stirpot: