Undercoating removal

SmokinBBC

I have the spare tire tub off and want to clean it up..it has undercoating on it. I tried pressure washing, but no luck. Anyone got any ideas?

Kevin, you ever get that crap off of yours? I think TT used kerosene.

They make undercoating remover.
Kerosene and diesel fuel works well also.

They make undercoating remover.
Kerosene and diesel fuel works well also.

Eastwood sells a kit with a heat gun and scrapers with their "undergone". Heat, scrape and clean up the rest with the undergone.....

I have the heat gun and scrapers. Wonder how much heat the fiberglass tub can take.......

I've heard that if you put dry ice on undercoating and let it freeze, it will practically chip off using a putty scraper. I've never really tried it though. Aircraft stripper works well too, just don't let it sit too long and clean it extremely well after use - I know I am going to get bashed for this.

I've used the heat gun method before as well, and it does work, but it takes forever and you won't get it all off that way.

The Kereosene works very well,i put it in a trigger spray bottle and saturated a small area at a time let it soak for a couple min's and then let the scraping begin :bounce:

Kerosine and a scotch pad works like a champ. It's messy and you'll smell like kerosine for days but it's the easiest way to get it off. First remove the thick goop with a putty knife and then attack it with the kerosine.

Do NOT use a spray bottle, it will make the kerosine flammable (it won't burn redily in puddles or in a bucket, only with a wick) and when misted you will inhale it. Not good! I found it easiest to just soak some scotch pads and use that and a soaked rag for quickly applying some more and wiping off the last remnants.

Kerosine and a scotch pad works like a champ. It's messy and you'll smell like kerosine for days but it's the easiest way to get it off. First remove the thick goop with a putty knife and then attack it with the kerosine.

Do NOT use a spray bottle, it will make the kerosine flammable (it won't burn redily in puddles or in a bucket, only with a wick) and when misted you will inhale it. Not good! I found it easiest to just soak some scotch pads and use that and a soaked rag for quickly applying some more and wiping off the last remnants.

:eek: SHIT now you tell me :suicide: i will remeber that when i do the rear half of the car this winter.

OOOOOOOOOOOOPS!

Well, look at it this way, at least you didn't fire up a smoke or something while misting that stuff:flash:

Everyonce in a while i do get lucky :twitch: well i did have the space heater off and the 2 garage doors open and an exhaust fan running, the smell in that garage was bad for a week :push: