Dumb? question about spline counts....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
I hear various references in many cases about the spline counts in many applications....such as clutches, diffy's driveshafts/etc....

so, if the diameter is the same, the more splines make each smaller.....

but obviously a larger shaft has more strength, metal for metal....and so what affect does the spline count have on overall strength IF keeping the same diameter/material/hardness???

OR, if the spline count is just a 'easy' reference as to strength....why??

and isn't it easier to just Mic the diameter of whatever, and go from there???

:clobbered::huh:

No such thing as a dumb question- dumb is to not to question. Off the top of my head, the more points of contact mean more places to distribute the forces.

Spline count

I hear various references in many cases about the spline counts in many applications....such as clutches, diffy's driveshafts/etc....

so, if the diameter is the same, the more splines make each smaller.....

but obviously a larger shaft has more strength, metal for metal....and so what affect does the spline count have on overall strength IF keeping the same diameter/material/hardness???

OR, if the spline count is just a 'easy' reference as to strength....why??

and isn't it easier to just Mic the diameter of whatever, and go from there???

:clobbered::huh:

This is just a quick basic answer, but if all being equil, the shaft with more splines and if using involute spline type will be stronger because of more spline surface area. An involute spline is tapered, being wider at the bottom or base and narrower at the top, triangle shape, this adds to the contact area. I hope this basic answer helps. :shocking: