Spring pockets and ride height....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
I have a pair of 460 lbx VBP springs in front, thinking of dropping the front a tad to put a 'rake' on it....

question is, when I installed the springs, years ago I aligned the lower pocket/mount to put the end of the coil into the pocket end.....

I remember some comments that I should have paid more attention to the top as a reference point, and ignored where the bottom placed itself....

and NOT doing so, means the car rides higher than it would....

I can't understand why that would BE, but IF that's true, how much can I expect to lower the front, by reinstalling the springs??

NOW the car seems to ride at stock height all around....

:search::idea:

If the lower end of the spring is as low in the pocket ( lined up with hole )as it gets you can't get the front any lower unless you cut the spring.

If the lower end of the spring is as low in the pocket ( lined up with hole )as it gets you can't get the front any lower unless you cut the spring.

SO, it makes no particular difference if aligned on the bottom pocket or the top??

that's kinda what I thought....

thanks...

:beer:

SO, it makes no particular difference if aligned on the bottom pocket or the top??

that's kinda what I thought....

thanks...

I guess its possible the top could have a deeper pocket. The only thing I do with the top is make sure its seated.

you're lucky the car is not sitting as high as mine when I installed the 460lbs springs back in 2004... looked like a Bronco with a lift kit.... barf....

The end coils are flatened, if you simply cut the springs it might mkae some weird noises when driving (hitting a speed bump or a pothole)... ask me how I know... I cut the 460s, then installed 550s uncut.... changed shocks at the same time, upgraded from KYB to Bilstein, difference like night and day...

If you have stock shocks they probably cannot handle stiff springs so if the ride quality is ok now it might be better to just leave it alone.... (or get 550s and good shocks)... :beer:

you're lucky the car is not sitting as high as mine when I installed the 460lbs springs back in 2004... looked like a Bronco with a lift kit.... barf....

The end coils are flatened, if you simply cut the springs it might mkae some weird noises when driving (hitting a speed bump or a pothole)... ask me how I know... I cut the 460s, then installed 550s uncut.... changed shocks at the same time, upgraded from KYB to Bilstein, difference like night and day...

If you have stock shocks they probably cannot handle stiff springs so if the ride quality is ok now it might be better to just leave it alone.... (or get 550s and good shocks)... :beer:

15 years ago I had KYB on all 4 corners....VBP 460 front and plastic 360 in the rear.....a local 3.5 mile bridge here used to be a really rough ride, lotsa guys raving about Bilsteins being the way to go....so I finally did, and they cured the problems, ride is MUCH better all around...
there is a letter code on the frame measure/specs in the book, that tells the ride height, and it's stock all around, but too much effort to pull those springs and modify them, screw it....

The book says to set them to the frame pockets, so I do. Why, dunno.

My GM books all reference the "lower control" arm for proper installation of the coil spring.

The book says to set them to the frame pockets, so I do. Why, dunno.

I didn't know to do that, and so did it the same as any other car over the years...never been an issue,

but some thoughts that NOT doing the upper pocket maybe the reason the car is still stock height.....I was thinking of maybe redoing the set on the springs IF that would drop the car any in front, but if not, hell with it, I not going all nutz now...too many other 'projects'....

:shocking::beer:

If using oem springs or design copies then you can use either.
Setting the bottom will put the top right or visa versa. I don't see a difference. I use temp guide bolts on either top or bottom, but do the same on a single car.

BotGuide.jpg

TopGuide.jpg

UpperPocket.jpg

My GM books all reference the "lower control" arm for proper installation of the coil spring.

My 81 shop maual uses the pocket as an index point, NOT the a arm.. I suspect Noonie is correct, that with a stock spring, one leads the other into place.
With a shortened spring, one end will lose.
:quote:

My 81 shop maual uses the pocket as an index point, NOT the a arm.. I suspect Noonie is correct, that with a stock spring, one leads the other into place.

Dang your right the 81 book does say the the upper pocket. I checked older books 66-78 and they say use the lower arm. The 79-82 books say to use the upper pocket...... why ? How the hell do you even see inside the upper tower ?

Dang your right the 81 book does say the the upper pocket. I checked older books 66-78 and they say use the lower arm. The 79-82 books say to use the upper pocket...... why ? How the hell do you even see inside the upper tower ?

My '72 got the lower arm treatment, so I have to ASSume the thing is correct, so it's a no go on my dropping the front end easy....I do have a set of '81 stock springs...I wonder how they would react...probably way too high is my guess, then the Bilsteins eh, scratch, still would like it a bit lower, but then the rack and oil pan....:shocking::search: