Cutting/lightening the doors....

Yellow73SB

How should I cut them out? Just cut out everything past the hinges and then brace it?

I picked up two doors that are completely gutted, nothing but the fiberglass and metal inside.

Edit: found these for latches

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2267,423_Bear-Jaw-Universal-Door-Latches.html

910-52860.F_L.jpg

Last edited:
The only reason would be if you are installing side bars like that. Otherwise you won't loose a whole lot of weight and you will gain a razor sharp inner door which you'll have to find a solution for. Most of the weight of that door is NT in the sheet metal. It's in the glass panel! The pre 73??? doors don't have the added side impact bars, they are a good bit lighter than the later ones. The 82 doors have the lightest factory skins.

Yeah I think I'm going to do the nascar bars like that

I have 73 doors with full glass, these will have pretty much nothing so it should save a bunch of weight

I ended up cutting a lot off

No other way to get the impact bars off

If your going to cut out the impact bars, you NEED to put something back. Personal protection is more important than anything. (Something easily remembered while spinning off the road):blush:

Two pieces of tubing will be way stronger than the flimsy stuff the factory put in

just the outer skins with the front hinges,, just to make it easier to work on the car. the battery and most electrics are behind the right door.
Using Duz fasteners to keep the doors shut.

I think I want some kind of latch though that you can open from the inside and out.

I could just dzus the passenger side though

That would work fine

I think I want some kind of latch though that you can open from the inside and out.

That would work fine

that ok,, wouldnt make any different exiting mine,, with the door closed or open you still have to go out above the side bars or out the top.

One of your crows name wouldnt be Nevermore would it?????

That would work fine

hood pin through the door......but mount it high enough so you can pull it from the drivers seat...

your crows look like they are circling my car getting ready to crap on it. Take a look...