Any Advantages

kwplot34

Heart Attack
to running a gear drive for timming or using a belt drive system? or is a good double roller chain just as good?
I like the looks of the belt drive,but is it worth the extra cost???

Gear drive has advantages like no chain slack, but also disadvantages like noise and more importantly, harmonics passed on to the valve train. A belt drive does not transmit harmonics at all. For a street engine, it's hard to go wrong with a quality double roller set.

Belts are cool, but I'd be worried about FOD with a belt-drive on the street...

So the belt drive is open on the front to the elements? i did not know that :huh2:
Do they make a cover for any of the belt drives or is that just the way they are?

The belts with which I'm familiar that fit Chevy V8's are external systems, but if I've overlooked a suitable internal setup I'd certainly have an interested in one for my BB, as I've been told my gear drive is audible from just over a mile.

Comp Cams wet system:
cca-5100_w.jpg

WHAT does that belt drive bring to the table that a double roller can't???

I got a Cloyes Dbl roller on there since 11 years now, never apart....so I"m wondering what the expected condition of it is, and what the expected durability of that above belt drive is......

and finally, I wonder about doing a crank trigger, leaving the stockish dizzy in place to do the actual indexing and firing of the plugs....sorta a poor man's multi coil setup....???

:yahoo::p

There are some advantages to a belt, I explained it above. Most important is reduction of harmonics.

A crank trigger is about the most precize triggering system you can get because it runs directly off the crank and therefore is always accurate in respect to actual piston position. unlike a chain/belt driven cam and a distributor. The issue is accumulating rolerances and fluctuations resulting in errors. Needed for the street? Nah! Is it nice? Hell yeah :)

There are some advantages to a belt, I explained it above. Most important is reduction of harmonics.

A crank trigger is about the most precize triggering system you can get because it runs directly off the crank and therefore is always accurate in respect to actual piston position. unlike a chain/belt driven cam and a distributor. The issue is accumulating rolerances and fluctuations resulting in errors. Needed for the street? Nah! Is it nice? Hell yeah :)

SO no expected improvement in MPG or performance, or smoother operation??

If you're just itchin' to spend some $$$, call me. I can help..

Well after i got hit with all those tax's in DEC and then again this April :mad:
The Gov't decided i should get a little back with that refund thing.No where near what i paid in, but i will take it,and spend it on my car :yahoo:

Well after i got hit with all those tax's in DEC and then again this April :mad:
The Gov't decided i should get a little back with that refund thing.No where near what i paid in, but i will take it,and spend it on my car :yahoo:

UNTILL wifey poo finds out.....:shocking::goodnight:

Unless you're divorced and onto wifey No. 2 :suicide:

But Linda is wife #3 and the best yet, has NEVER complained about my car hobby, at least it's not going up my nose or the kids hungry or something stupid.....

vs the total bitch attitude the kid's mom had about ANYTHING I did for a hobby....

:drink: