Battery Cable question 1990 L98

keywestjack

I replaced the positive cable with a new Delco. The wire that goes to the jump block on the new cable looks to be 8 guage and the original looks to be 6 guage. Am I ok to go with the smaller guage? The Delco box reads for GM years including 1990. Thank for the help. Jack

Chances are, GM decided #8 in that app was okay. Since it is short, I would not worry too much.

UPDATE:

I have been chasing down my blinking alternator light. My alternator has checked out OK. I have replaced the pos. and neg. battery cable, along with checking the engine and trany grounds. They are all ok, but still the blinking alt. light, especially when the engine revs (replaced belt and tensioner). I am now going to replace the charge wire from the alt. to the jump block. Can you guys think of anything else? BTW, When the light blinks the radio on AM crackles and the lights (dash board) go dim. Thanks, Jack

Nothing specific, but in general, the bulkhead/firewall connector, and the ignition switch connector...maybe the switch itself? even though I have never had a bad one, they ARE sold in parts houses....

hard to say without some DVMeter readings....

:drink:

Loose/bad splice/ connector.
Bad alternator brushes.
Loose lamp socket/bad filament

Thanks for the replys guys. I will let you know how this matter goes. What a pain. Jack