Compatable 5 or (hopefully) 6 speed manual transmission with a C3 350?

melssen

I love my vette but really hate the gas mileage. It is mostly my fault, I drive too fast and accelerate way too fast. Still, I would like to put a few more gears into my 4 speed. I am still going to hold on to my original trans, just change it for now for economic purposes, try to get a little better than 10 mpg. So, I am looking for a 5 or 6 speed trans that I can pick up off a wreck or the junkyard that will not be a difficult or expensive swap. Any ideas or experience?
Thanks and I promise, I will start posting help, not just questions.

Last edited:
Probably the only budget solution is a Mustang T5. Could probably do that for less than $1000. TKO and T56 possible with more $$$$$$$.

Agreed. T56's are expensive. A good solid LS1 T56 will run you between $1200 to $1800 for one in good shape.

I'm not sure about the price of an LT1 T56, but they are cheaper (less power capability, different slave cylinder design). I believe I read the LT1 T56 bellhousing will bolt up to a Gen I block, but never looked into it since it wasn't my direction.

It can't hurt to call around to a few junk yards and price them out, but expect a high dollar amount.

I have read on other forums that Ford t-5 has a different bellhousing to trans. bolt pattern so you cant bolt a chevy bellhousing to a ford trans. as well as the tailshaft is different. Their is nowhere for the torque arm and the shifter is to far forward.

I have read on other forums that Ford t-5 has a different bellhousing to trans. bolt pattern so you cant bolt a chevy bellhousing to a ford trans. as well as the tailshaft is different. Their is nowhere for the torque arm and the shifter is to far forward.

The Ford T5 does have a different trans to bellhousing bolt pattern. However, the Ford T5 has a 1/2 inch longer input shaft than a Muncie. So it's perfect for a 1/2 inch thick trans to bellhousing adapter plate.

Torque arm? The shifter is going to need some relocation regardless of what transmission you use.

F body T5, bolts right up, same length as 700R4, direct replacement if you have an 82.

2 on the left are T5s

24c23400e898a1.jpg

First off what's your rear end ratio? If it's 3.08 or less and your trans has a 0.64 range OD you'll need a stump puller cam to run under 2000rpm at 70mph with a sbc.
The T56s from f body cars have a 0.5 OD, so forget about using that gear unless you have a 4.11 rear end.
The T5s have a 0.6 something OD. There are a lot of Ford world class ones out there that will survive behind a sbc, but you'll need an adapter bell housing and pilot bearing.
Be careful of the GM T5s, they came in variations that were rated as little as 200ft/lbs of torque. The best GM T5s were behind 305s in f bodies. But even these were only rated for about 300ft/lbs.

Last edited: