Nissan Xterra

SmokinBBC

Got a chance at a 2006 4x4 for a decent price.

Anyone have one or familiar with them? Most info that I have found on the net gives good reviews. Any issues with this SUV?

Not sure if the problem is true for all Nissan SUV's but some of the later model Pathfinders had bad radiators that allowed water into the transmission and ruined the trans.

Not sure if the problem is true for all Nissan SUV's but some of the later model Pathfinders had bad radiators that allowed water into the transmission and ruined the trans.

Thanks...looks to be a problem on more than the pathfinder. Found this on an Xterra forum.

have them check the diff fluids, there have been rare issues with these failing, have them check the coolant and transmission fluid, x's from 05-07 (mostly, reports are still coming in and i don't know if 08-09-10 are gonna be affected) have had rare issues with a failure in the radiator to keep the coolant and the tranny fluid sperate, this leads to coolant in the tranny and a tranny/rad failure that can cost up to $7000. check the timing chain, these have an issue with whining in the year you are looking at, easy fix but annoying. lastly, the fuel sending unit has just been recalled and notices are soon to be out. other than that, i don't know, just the normal maintenance stuff.

Yep radiator failure tends to kill the trans on the 4.0 motor. I just swapped out the radiator in my Frontier with an aftermarket at about 100k miles, $100preventative maintenence.
Spark plugs are a pain to change.
Belt tensioners tend to start squeeking, but they cheap and easy to change.

After a couple of drives and inspection, I went for it. Not to fancy a ride. Looks good and ride is pretty solid....Interior is pretty basic.

I'm pretty happy with my Frontier, same front half as the Xterra. But you might want to consider an aftermarket radiator if it's getting near 100k miles.

I'm pretty happy with my Frontier, same front half as the Xterra. But you might want to consider an aftermarket radiator if it's getting near 100k miles.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Did you have any problems with the timing chain? Not sure if the Frontier has the same engine. It looks like a common problem on the 2006+ engines.

Nope, thought the 05+ 4.0l engines were all the same.
What are the details on the timing chain problem? If it's just a whine, I probably wouldn't bother with it.

I don't have the problem...but when I was researching, I found quite a bit of this

"timing chain rails and tensioner wear issues. Generally the owners catch this before 6 years and 60 thousand miles. Don't wait to long get it repaired. The timing chains are steel and the covers aluminum: covers aluminum guides with nylon plastic coverings."

I need to get a service manual.