Bell Housing cover bolts

keywestjack

Does anyone know where I can get the bolts (approx 1/2 inch in length) for the bell housing cover on a 1990 (automatic). They are not the same thread pitch as a regular 6mm bolt. Thanks, Jack

A 1990 is still "SAE metric". As a general rule, most SAE fasteners sizes are 6mm x 1mm, 8mm x 1.25mm, 10mm x 1.5mm, etc.

Unfortunately this "general rule" doesn't always work :banghead:

The bellhousing bolts on my '89 truck roller block are 3/8-16 9/16 cap just like olde tyme chebbies....

:thumbs:

I recall someone saying the V8 hardward didn't go metric on the drill/tap until the LS came out....makes sense, I guess....

:eek::surrender:

Like Gene says, they are regular 3/8-16 like most outside fasteners on the SBC, same for LT1/4. LS was indeed the 1st for metric all over.

No way a bellhousing cover is using anything approaching 3/8-16.

Automatic transmissions were the first components to go fully metric.

my 1pc rms block is a 87 or newer and the bellhousing bolts are not metric, think they're 3/8".... anyways.... If I read this correctly the question is about the bellhousing cover (dust shield ??) bolts ????

Metric 6mm (M6) is way smaller then 3.8" so I assume the question is about the dust shield bolts....

I believe (and might be wrong) that the dust shield bolts or threads are 1/4", not metric....

Oh bell housing cover, I figured bellhousing to block.

Those small bolts? Hell if I know what they are LOL

my 1pc rms block is a 87 or newer and the bellhousing bolts are not metric, think they're 3/8".... anyways.... If I read this correctly the question is about the bellhousing cover (dust shield ??) bolts ????

Metric 6mm (M6) is way smaller then 3.8" so I assume the question is about the dust shield bolts....

I believe (and might be wrong) that the dust shield bolts or threads are 1/4", not metric....

Sorry about the confusion. :eek: You are right, I did mean dust shield. On another look the tpi don't look like anything I have seen before. BTW, thanks guys for your time. Jack

Sorry about the confusion. :eek: You are right, I did mean dust shield. On another look the tpi don't look like anything I have seen before. BTW, thanks guys for your time. Jack

The TPI is metric...I don't know the sizes....I never bother with the dust shields, leave it off for better cooling....

:bump:

The TPI is metric...I don't know the sizes....I never bother with the dust shields, leave it off for better cooling....

:bump:

Thanks Gene, I think I found them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...4ff986c19&rvr_id=&ua=WXI7&itemid=400095181526