Wanted---1970-74 gas tank

greg75vette

The Traffic Baron
Looking for a '70-'74 gas tank in good shape. It has to have at least one connection for vent or evap canister.

I'll take just a filler neck as well.

Thanks!

I've noticed this thread for several days and haven't posted anything since I didn't want to be off base...but here goes anyhow. I think you should just go buy a new Quanta duplicate replica tank. They're not that expensive ( a little over $200 I think) A used 70, or so tank, is 40 years old and most probably ready to start leaking. If you do find a used tank, you'll probably want to coat the interior with an Eastwood tank sealer and I think that'll put you out $60 or so. This will be probably a temporary fix.

I pulled out the tank of my 70. It looked OK, at first, on the outside and from what I could see on the inside. However, just handling it to get it out caused rust holes to appear from the handling. The steel walls of the tank, in a few places, were about the thickness of aluminum foil due to rust and just handling the tank caused ruptures to occur.

If you put a new one in, you won't have to replace it for the next 40 years. Taking tanks in and out isn't a pleasant task. (exhaust pipes, spare tire tub, tight space to maneuver the old tank out and the new tank in)

Ditto for me...I had the same experience and agree with the advice already given. Don't waste valuable time and resources on an old fuel tank.

For the ~250 bux for a VETTE tank I agree, no question, my car had a replacement/stock tank done before I got it....

but my Clamper/motor home tank was welded in by my welder buddy...as to PLAY HELL getting a replacement thanks to EPA and some bullshit about selling used fuel tanks from a local junkyard...that's what I told locally, anyway.....

and it's about NEW at this point...BUT you gotta have a guy with some serious welding talent and experience to pull that off....

AND IF the tank is swiss cheese on the interior...fuggetaboutit....the motor home was NOT, just one rusty spot where the fuel gauge/pickup went....:gurney:

Looking for a '70-'74 gas tank in good shape. It has to have at least one connection for vent or evap canister.

I'll take just a filler neck as well.

Thanks!

I'm going to be removing a less than 2 year old Quanta tank and reinstalling the original. Its a 70 without EEC. Here is a link.
http://www.quantaproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GM-33E
These tanks have a dual way vent on the top and this one failed, it started to suck the tank down. I don't think it hurt it bad, the filler cap moved only a tiny bit.Let me know if your interested and I can put you in touch with the owner,I doubt he will want much for it since he has no place to keep it and I stored his original.

Hey sorry, DWncchs. I didn't see your reply until yesterday. I bought a new tank around mid July. Thanks for looking out for me, though.