EFI project/ on a '77

gimpy

OK fellas,I've been a member here for a little bit,haven't posted much,just been ghosting along ,getting info and watching all the good work.Impressive stuff.
I put up a pic of this in the EFI section, but I think it belongs here. So here goes.
When I bought my '77 it had a tired 350 in it with a loose 350 th.The car was black with a smoke interior.One of it's PO's had died the inside black sooo.Long tale short, it is now bright yellow/black interior.
The 350 had a crack in the bottom of the block that leaked coolant soo out it came.I bought a "seasoned" L98 block,Scat stroker kit,and a HT383 roller cam.Also a set of Vortec heads.It's been run in with a Qjet & an aluminum manifold.

DSC01054.jpg

At this point it had a 3.08 rear.I pulled that out to have a look,and found it was mostly done.The housing and ring gear carrier are good but not much else.I posted here looking for a transplant, found a decent 3.55 here.In it went.
But the old horse is still running thru a pipe with holes init, so off to the hunt again.TPI? too restrictive for a 383.I found a Scroogins/Dicky Tpi base @ Ebay.Here's where I got a little crazy:devil:Found some 1.75 mandrel bent al. pipe(4 180deg bends)cut these in half to get 8 90s.I bored a set of TPI bottom plates to accept them, an programed up a mill to cut base plates.

DSC01056.jpg

Now I need throttles

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01444.jpg

And

DSC01443.jpg

And linkage

DSC01445.jpg

And

[ame=http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr11/gimpy_57/5-31-2010/?action=view&current=MOV02222.flv]th_MOV02222.jpg[/ame]

To control this the current plan is either a Mega Squirt,or FreeEMS,running a lost spark ign. settup or coil on plug ign. And semi seq. injection.The fuel pumps & lines will be very simular to Zman's settup with a surge tank fed by a low pressure pump & feeding the high pres. pump.
What do ya think?
Gimpy

YOU are nuckin' futz, ever krazier then I am, and buddy that's saying summfin'....

LOVE IT!!! :smash::smash::thumbs:

I had a TPI on my engine, with Edel mani base...and wondered about modding it or going for the LT1 highly chopped/welded intake, chose the latter, but yours is mucho cooler looking....

:eek::devil::thumbs:

NO, I go further, it's a work of ART....

Last edited:
YOU are nuckin' futz, ever krazier then I am, and buddy that's saying summfin'....

I had a TPI on my engine, with Edel mani base...and wondered about modding it or going for the LT1 highly chopped/welded intake, chose the latter, but yours is mucho cooler looking....

Thank you,I've not herd nuckin' futz in a long time,but as I'm a member here I thought that was a given....
How did the LT1 work out?
Gimpy

Thank you,I've not herd nuckin' futz in a long time,but as I'm a member here I thought that was a given....
How did the LT1 work out?
Gimpy

PERFECT, worked first shot outta the barrel...I thought I would have to pull it off to do SOMETHING...but nada.....so it looks funky, no dress up at all....

credit to my welder buddy who does great with TIG on aluminum, even that rough casting shit....I even have a mounting pad from a old carb intake that I cut out, and had him weld in for the HEI dizzy, weird lookn' from the git go....

:smash:

Damn nice machine/design work. Very impressive and very original.

Can't wait to see more.

Can't wait to see more.

Yeh, that's for sure, he probably works at some design/prototype machine shop, like for Boeing or Gm or some such outfit....

FAR cry from typical homeowner stuff....

:yahoo::1st:

Can't wait to see more.

Yeh, that's for sure, he probably works at some design/prototype machine shop, like for Boeing or Gm or some such outfit....

FAR cry from typical homeowner stuff....

:yahoo::1st:
Thanks again.
Proto shop?Well yes, it is that indeed.Boeing?GM? In Nebraska?Nope ,I slave at a little company that makes momentary push switches for printed CB use,very high quality,hand assy.I maintain 2 small injection presses,and tooling and build some from time to time.5 or 6 years back we had to replace our Bridgeport mill,picked up a small CNC settup,It's the bomb!!!!In the shop we've got a 13" lathe, surface grinder and a sinker EDM.So ideas are the limit (well that and what I can drag up on the mill)
I love forums,cause it expands the swap idea thing so much.All of you fellas have built some really cool things,some farmed out, some done in the garage.Most work,some don't.Most of what is here came from someone else,just my application.The Kinsler injection site gave me sizes,linkage stuff,does & don'ts.
MRvette,your car is awesome!!I love the mid 60's vettes,could not afford,Sharks are affordable ,and all over the place soooo.
Gimpy

An update at last!!!

It has been to long since I've updated this little project.So here goes. The fuel sys. has been upgraded to EFI specs with a Stainless Steel surge tank ,pump & filters

DSC03137.jpg

The manifold base set with the ITBs mounted and linkage set up.

DSC03135.jpg i

Air cleaners fabbed

DSC03131.jpg

The Mega Squirt assembled, and wired.I needed a 36-1 wheel to feed crank position to the Squirt & got caught in the "might as well"s and built a toothed belt drive for the alt./water pump/ps

DSC03133.jpg

The wiring is done, and the pile runs!!It still needs a lot of tuning,but am getting closer with every start.The tune is a blend of speed density and alpha N but is getting closer all the time.I've had it fired on full sequential but it will not do that every time.I've still to sort the cam position sensor.
I need to thank Gene for his help with routing wiring thru the firewall:drink:worked out well!!!
As always thoughts/comments welcome.
Gimpy