Vacuum Canister Removal/Hydraboost Install

68/70Vette

How to make a difficult job much easier.

I think removing the vacuum canister (Power Brakes) was the most painful job I've experienced. I had the driver's seat removed, the speedo/tach dash removed and the steering column hanging loose (but in place). Being 6'2" inches tall, 220 lbs, it was difficult to contort my body to get into position to remove the four cannister nuts. In fact I couldn't actually see the upper left nut. I used the extentions, universal joint, and extention socket. It was slow, and very uncomfortable.

For the Hydraboost install I decided to remove the steering column. Bingo! With the steering column removed, I could actually see all four studs from the Hydraboost. Also, the two right studs and lower left were so accessible, I could start the nuts by hand and easily torque them up. Getting the nut on the upper right was seemingly impossible even though I could see it. Finally, I realized, the clutch "safety" switch was in the way. (On a 70 Manual tranny car, you have to depress the clutch to start the engine.) I removed the one bolt that held the switch body to the clutch/brake pedal housing and allowed the switch to dangle by it's pushrod. Now I had enough room to install the nut with my hand and easily torque it up.

Bottom Line: With the speedo/tach dash removed, seat removed, and steering column removed, removing/installing either the vacuum canister or the Hydraboost is an easy job. The steering column was also easy it remove. Once I had it out, I also replaced the lower column bearing with the OEM parts which are still available from GM.

I've done it many times without even removing the column, a set of long extensions and one of those joint things with some sturdy tape around it so it doesn't flop around and then getting to the nuts by feel. Sure saves pulling half the car apart.