Lets see your bose replacements, because mines going in the garbage !!!!!!!!!!!!!

JeffP1167

I am totally pissed at this overly thought out electrical piece of garbage! It was working okay for awhile but the CDM died today. So after a day of work and frustration this system is going in the garbage can!

This is on my 1990 corvette so I am looking for a double DIN type replacement that semi matches my dashboard. The downside is I am completely audio sound system stupid and know nothing about the good type electrical harnesses to use as well as choices of speakers.

I saw a pioneer I really liked that had all kinds of nice features but don't know the model of it. I have also heard you have to add a inline resistor to this system to avoid the "SYS" flashing on the dash display.

So anyone who has added audio systems to a 90-up please step in and postup what you know works well in the car with minimal fabrication to make it fit and so on. Also some links to nice harnesses to wire up the speakers would be nice.

I am not looking for a 15,000 watt system that can be heard from ten miles away and vibrates the car as well as cars 15 feet away. I am looking for just a nice sounding system is all.

I saw this kenwood in a guys thread and it seems like it goes kinda nice with the dash

VetteRadio.jpg

I can guide you through the install, it's pretty straightforward, did it twice recently

I installed Kenwood DPX503U units because you can change illumination color on them and let you set it to factory amber

DPX503U_R_V04.jpg

What are you gonna do with the original head unit?? I'm looking for a nice 90-91 unit because I have none

If you have climate control with the lcd display and not the ac with old fashioned levers you don't need to ad the resistor. The sys will flash if no illumination leds are present and since your AC will have them still if you have CC no problem, with AC however removing the head unit means you won't have any leds left and that's when the code sets

If you retain the stock speaker/amp combo's it will only sound so so but I couldn't care, I didn't want to go and hack up the cars

You will need a harness adapter and radio frame adapter, I got both from installer.com , you need to extend the harness

I can guide you through the install, it's pretty straightforward, did it twice recently

I installed Kenwood DPX503U units because you can change illumination color on them and let you set it to factory amber

DPX503U_R_V04.jpg

What are you gonna do with the original head unit?? I'm looking for a nice 90-91 unit because I have none

If you have climate control with the lcd display and not the ac with old fashioned levers you don't need to ad the resistor. The sys will flash if no illumination leds are present and since your AC will have them still if you have CC no problem, with AC however removing the head unit means you won't have any leds left and that's when the code sets

If you retain the stock speaker/amp combo's it will only sound so so but I couldn't care, I didn't want to go and hack up the cars

You will need a harness adapter and radio frame adapter, I got both from installer.com , you need to extend the harness

Yes the car has C68 climate control .... Illumination is another thing I am picky about as well.

I'm not sure what I will do with the head unit.

The head unit is actually a 1993 model converted to look like a 90-91 model.

Speakers I will replace with something equivalent to the stock units, If I have to mod the stock speaker enclosures thats fine.

I know the CDM bit the dust by the puff of smoke that came from it! The head unit works though, best to send it to that doctor don though to be checked out.

If you can hear the radio, the exhaust is too quiet....

I don't even HAVE any tunes in my vette....:hissyfit::crutches::friends:

If you don't want to keep the stock bose amps/speakers and swap new speakers into the old enclosures (good luck with that, nothing fits, will need modification) you only need half the adapter harness for power to the head unit, illumination and antenna control

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-3051

This is the mounting adapter you need, it will come as a set of brackets and a filler for use with a 1 din sized head unit, you only need the brackets

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=ROEM-GM21

This is the harness you need, you need to lengthen it and connect the harness that comes with the new headunit to it, if you don't want to run the stock bose amped speakers just don't connect that part. You can also get the harnes from scosche which has the power section seperate from the amp wires and will let you completely omit that part so no dangling unused electronic box under the dash