Norval rollcage photos or contact?

msn71bb

Hi guys, I am preparing to build a roll cage (non sanctioned use, focused on chassis stiffening) and really liked some of the ideas I saw in Norval's cage. Unfortunately all the photo links are dead. I tried over on CF to contact Norval, but no luck. Hoping someone here has photos of his rollcage build or contact information. Thanks for any help you can provide. regards Stephen

I think he's over on Chevelles.com but why on earth would you want a bolt in cage? I don't see anyone unbolting it ever again, weld in...nothing else.

Obviously you want to repair any weak area on the frame first.... before you weld a cage to it...

Once the frame is ok weld the cage. Even if (and that's a big IF) you ever need to pull the body (again) you can cut the cage and re-weld.

Although I think that a bolted cage is going to improve frame stiffness noticeably I don't see the need for a "bolt in" cage. Periodically you would have to check if all bolts are tight.

I am focussed on stiffening the chassis as much as possible. The frame had only slight surface rust and I have cleaned and painted it while doing frame mount replacement. There is a huge amount of flex in the stock chassis and the only significant way to improve it is to provide additional triangulation etc. with some supplemental tubing. I do not want a full 12 point plus cage with the associate access and visual drawbacks in my convertible (I draw enough attention from the police with a BBC and sidepipes!). The bolt-in aspect is not an essential in my planning. I do want to keep the cage unobtrusive. I am considering a main hoop behind/underneath the dash to serve as a structure for tubes running to the front frame rails at the A arms. This hoop would also serve as a point to triangulate back to the rear frame kick-up.

so basically a cage that is hidden (as much as that is possible) - crossover under the dash and low curved door bars.... very interesting project. I don't have contact info for norval but I think he used the username strider also, google it.....
I remember seeing photos of his cage but other than the "bolt in" I don't remember anything extraordinary about his cage design - maybe I just didn't see what's so special about it, dunno...
Another member here, Yellow73SB has build (bent) a real nice cage, search for his cage thread or photos of 84rzv500r's cage. That should give you a few ideas ...

Thanks guys, I do have the pdf and a paper copy(!) of Chevrolet Power book that I bought from the parts counter back in 1980! I have search this and other sites, but roll cage photos are surprizing few and far between. I am having troubles getting set up on Digital Corvettes but will also check the Chevelle site. Thanks

If you're looking to add stiffness, a bolt in cage is the last thing you need. big compromise.