Bearing Grease tool

GTR1999

Gearhead
I just tried this Timken bearing packer and really like it. Much better then most I see. Check it out, the design as been around before but this one is pretty well built. It cost me about $35. I can get some if you want one and can't find them.

redcover.jpg
Holdsalb.jpg
presstool.jpg
greasepushedthroughbrg.jpg

All I have ever done with a typical shape wheel bearing is to clean it up in gasoline, blast it out with air jet, spinning FAST in each direction, while I hold the inner race...pack well in the grease can, flip it around a bit, and fill the hub cavity with grease pretty good, and shove it home....

that is if I have a trouble with it being packed good, or worse yet, the blowout is for when its suspect of failure....or the grease is filthy black/dark....

been doing this for decades, not a issue....

:crutches:

My Snap On or Blue Point looks about the same and works well,I did put a zerk in the bottom side to fill it.

I used it last night for the first time doing some T/A's. It worked well, I still rotate and pack the grease in the bearing. I didn't get as messy, overall I like it. There is a spring mounted on the piston to offer a vacuum break once bottomed out. I didn't use a grease gun to load it, just scooped out the grease from the 1-lb tub and loaded it.
You may find them online, I don't know. The bearing supplier I use as a few if anyone wants one.Not sure how the price compares at $35 but I like it.

Ok I'll get a couple, they will look nice on my table at Carlisle too!
Just PM shipping info and I'll get back to you.
Gary

All I have ever done with a typical shape wheel bearing is to clean it up in gasoline, blast it out with air jet, spinning FAST in each direction, while I hold the inner race...

Gene, are you saying that you spin a wheel bearing with air??
Better stop doing that asap - one the first things I learned when as a teenager working in a shop. Spinning the bearing fast with air the bearing can easily come apart, which it did on me. Luckily my only injury was 2 nice round cuts on my finger where I had the bearing on like a ring. Shop owner gave me a lecture that day. Later in life as a factory rep for an auto parts manager one of the NAPA distribution center general managers had a bad eye. Story was, early in his career as a road salesman he was in a shop when an apprentice was spinning a bearing - it came apart and took out the salesmans eye.
I'm sure your gonna say you've been doing this for years - very lucky, but for anyone else that doesn't know...............

I used it last night for the first time doing some T/A's. It worked well, I still rotate and pack the grease in the bearing. I didn't get as messy, overall I like it. There is a spring mounted on the piston to offer a vacuum break once bottomed out. I didn't use a grease gun to load it, just scooped out the grease from the 1-lb tub and loaded it.
You may find them online, I don't know. The bearing supplier I use as a few if anyone wants one.Not sure how the price compares at $35 but I like it.
Gary let us know when you run out of grease if the spring gives you the vacuum break you need to pull the piston out for reloading. This is why I chose to refill using a gun. If your vacuum break spring is like mine and it doesn't work well you could always drill a hole and put a valve in for the vacuum break. I wonder now if you could remove the zerk from the center shaft and get a vac break ?
I like mine really well and I to rotate the tapered holddown as Im greasing the bearing so the grease goes everwhere.

All I have ever done with a typical shape wheel bearing is to clean it up in gasoline, blast it out with air jet, spinning FAST in each direction, while I hold the inner race...

Better stop doing that asap - one the first things I learned when as a teenager working in a shop. Spinning the bearing fast with air the bearing can easily come apart, which it did on me. Luckily my only injury was 2 nice round cuts on my finger where I had the bearing on like a ring. Shop owner gave me a lecture that day. Later in life as a factory rep for an auto parts manager one of the NAPA distribution center general managers had a bad eye. Story was, early in his career as a road salesman he was in a shop when an apprentice was spinning a bearing - it came apart and took out the salesmans eye.
I'm sure your gonna say you've been doing this for years - very lucky, but for anyone else that doesn't know...............

I don't remember much from high-school auto-shop but I remember that if you were caught spinning a bearing like that it was in instant fail. The teacher was really touchy about it, seems to me he knew someone that lost a couple of fingers that way.

I don't remember much from high-school auto-shop but I remember that if you were caught spinning a bearing like that it was in instant fail. The teacher was really touchy about it, seems to me he knew someone that lost a couple of fingers that way.

UMM....never thought about it....OK....hope I don't forget to remember....

:hissyfit::censored:

Ok, that looks just like the one on the SnapOn truck. I don't think they make half the stuff they used to.

Ok, that looks just like the one on the SnapOn truck. I don't think they make half the stuff they used to.

feels like 1/2 a century, but really Pete Ryba is maybe 25? years younger than me, and so he gave up his head mechanic job, went Matco tools, got to be area then regional manager, then jumped to Snap On maybe 6? years ago....I only see him maybe once every other year on a trip up north, but he WAS doing fine, not heard anything negative.....but the economy sux...so surely he hurting too...

:clobbered:

I have often wondered if the actual SnapOn guys do ok. Seems like My SnapOn man is always complaining about people not paying him, I don't if it is a bit but I feel bad for him and buy something that I probably would not have otherwise. He is a good one though, I have seen some that will sell a young kid a 10,000 tool box and he only owns a set of screwdrivers and a ratchet set. I don't feel to sorry for them.

The bosses typically know of the contracts and shit the worker bees buy off the chrome trucks.....

and it's the shop's security against theft.....mainly over night....

krazy business alright.....

then again a friend down the street here was a pro mechanic for decades....

and so HIS tool collection surpasses the total on this forum, I almost bet....

Charlie got every tool in the shed 6x over...but at age ~75 and feet worse than mine, he not in shape to do anything any more....
retired with this killer garage behind his house too....damn shame....

long sad story about him, maybe another time.....

:nuts: