GM brakes and physics.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Need talk PMessage to anyone with practical hands on knowledge of GM brakes specifically, size requirements, pad area, swept areas, and how the two interrelate.....

I noted a huge discrepancy between a new pad call out and what was on my motor home....the call out was about 2-3 sq" larger and longer, it appears the rotors are the same, and the calipers they fit are some 1" larger in diameter than on my motor home....the shit on my P30 chassis seem fine, and AS I RECALL LOOK THE SAME as what was on many other vans, and large cars of my past...just the rotors are much larger, for 16+ wheels, and same thickness at 1.5"....

so the basic question is how far inferior is the older style pads/calipers to the new ones?? now pads are tapered, further cutting down the swept area, how critical is that??

I talking ultimate stopping down a mountainside in the Rockies, no bullshitting around....

:clobbered::rolleyes:

Need talk PMessage to anyone with practical hands on knowledge of GM brakes specifically, size requirements, pad area, swept areas, and how the two interrelate.....

I noted a huge discrepancy between a new pad call out and what was on my motor home....the call out was about 2-3 sq" larger and longer, it appears the rotors are the same, and the calipers they fit are some 1" larger in diameter than on my motor home....the shit on my P30 chassis seem fine, and AS I RECALL LOOK THE SAME as what was on many other vans, and large cars of my past...just the rotors are much larger, for 16+ wheels, and same thickness at 1.5"....

so the basic question is how far inferior is the older style pads/calipers to the new ones?? now pads are tapered, further cutting down the swept area, how critical is that??

I talking ultimate stopping down a mountainside in the Rockies, no bullshitting around....

Gene, I went thru this on the P-30 chasis I restored for a friend. The brakes differ by chasis GVW and rear end size/manufacturer

The nameplate on the drivers door gives you that info.
They made these chasis in about 10 configurations

Gene, I went thru this on the P-30 chasis I restored for a friend. The brakes differ by chasis GVW and rear end size/manufacturer

AH HA!!, so I have some questions then....the rear wheel wells were all chopped up for some reason, the metal pan liners cut up on the outside edge, now that looked strange to me, and so it has dualie wheels on it, I was wondering why they were all chopped up....wonder if by chance this was shipped without dualie wheels, and instead had single flat faced wheels on it, like on the front, and was the spare....

the rims I got it with were the old 16.5 inch two piece shit, left at a junkyard...

Jeff, we gotta talk, this is too much for emails, be here all day....

I need your C# again, or line I can talk a few minits....

I have 14' of aluminum behind the front seats and a cab over sleeper up there, bed is in back, it had a steel water tank, and still has the aftermarket custom made 2nd fuel tank....

:crutches:

AH HA!!, so I have some questions then....the rear wheel wells were all chopped up for some reason, the metal pan liners cut up on the outside edge, now that looked strange to me, and so it has dualie wheels on it, I was wondering why they were all chopped up....wonder if by chance this was shipped without dualie wheels, and instead had single flat faced wheels on it, like on the front, and was the spare....

That can be caused by an outside flat tire also. I'll call you tomarrow Gene.

That can be caused by an outside flat tire also. I'll call you tomarrow Gene.

Odd that both sides were similar affected...course it HAS been 40 years....:skeptic:

but I read and went over yet again all your info there, and so their info went back to '73 and naturally GM changed the call out on the Chassis ID, but I noted 8000 lbs GVW, and 5200 on rear, and 3500 on front...
but the rear has larger swept area brakes now, and so I was thinking of the front...since with HB on that large m/cyl I NOW have a solid enough pedal....

but was wondering over the front pads...smaller than other MHomes I have seen, course the front wheels are flat faced 0 offset, the others have dualie looking rims and larger calipers/pads....but they are later model...for that matter almost anything is later than this dinosaur....

:bump::rofl: