Corvette V12 Project...

Richard454

OK- some may flame (NCRS-HAHAHAHA)- some think it's cool-others can't figure out why the hell I can't just put a Chevy engine back in it-

Engine- 5.0l (OK -I'll convert it to CI 304) BMW V12 All aluminum SOHC from a 1990 BMW 750IL
About 300HP as found in the car- I plan on cleaning it up-pulling all the accessories-no cats- so I'm looking at about 350HP. Motor weighs in right around 500lbs fully dressed (for my car).

Going to run the stock fuel injection-but probably run one fuel pump instead of two that were originally used.

Going to have to dry sump it- has a front sump- but this is relatively easy to do and has been done many times before.

BMW_oila.jpg

BMW_oilf.jpg

GTO-drysump10.jpg

Motor mounts are done- motor sits right where I want it- Made some mounts to fit the stock Chevy motor mounts. NO frame mods needed at ALL!!! Stock SMALL Block hood will fit (however I have a L88).

P1010245.jpg

P1010253.jpg

Drive by wire system (this was the first car in the world w/ this system) I already have it wired out-Before I pulled the motor I made sure everything would work as i cut each wire.

Electronic throttle-
P1010248.jpg

Going in the car...
P1010256.jpg

It fits- w/ no real issues-

P1010269.jpg

P1010257.jpg

What do you think?

Cool. I like it.

How does the length of the engine compare to a V8? What will you be using for a transmission?

I spend a lot of time over on LS1tech in the conversions section and there has to be at least 4 LS1-into-bimmer swaps in progress with another 4 or so complete. I like the fact that this is somewhat of a reverse! Definately keep the pics coming. My only real concern is the power. Only 350 for a V12? I feel you can improve on that :devil:

The engine is 29½' long- so about an inch SHORTER than a BBC w/ Short W/P.

The transmission that came on the car is a 4sp auto
4SPAuto.jpg

The bellhousing is removable-so I can mod to fit a Tremec (500 or 56). It's been done. A lot of the Lambo Kit car guys have it modded to fit a Porsche Trans axle. OR I could get a 6-speed from an BMW 850-will bolt right up -but a little more expensive. Looking for a deal...Not decided yet.

Sweet a Bimmer dry sump motor :)

It looks 100x better than that Jag V12 conversion I saw once. This is going to be sweet.

What a cool project. Not enough o's in smoooooth to describe a bmw v-12...

Very cool project, looking forward to watching it!! How are the electronics going to be adapted? Are you using everything out of the donor vehicle??

Thanks guys-

It's funny some people can't figure out why I am doing the swap- "Why don't you just put the original engine back in it?"

It's a 1971 -CHROME bumper car-that I bought my senior year of High School in 1980. The original motor was long gone (LS-5)- I'm sure it was blown up-by the fiberglass repair I had to do in the storage compartments when the PO broke the half shafts. The car had rear flairs (which I have kept ) and a 4 point rollbar when I bought it.

The Jag conversion- sticks out of the hood way too far-394P8190014-med.jpg

Unfortunately the BMW V12 has some limitations due to the heads- they were designed to move a 4400lb car down the road effortlessly -no drama but respectively fast- the 850 2 dr at 4200lbs puts down a mid 6 sec 0-60. Again it's only 305 ci- the cam is really mild and it still will put out 1HP/CI NET rating. BUT back in the day the LS-5 454ci only put out like 270HP NET and weighed almost 200lbs more. SO- I think I'm going to be happy w/ the performance. And if not -there's always a turbo-which I have seen this engines put out some nice numbers under pressure.

Gene- the exhaust...I was thinking sidepipes- When I had the car painted I got the filler panel on the rear. Right now there the factory manifold run 3 cyl to one- then in the BMW ran into two cats then into a resonator and a big ass muffler. When I was wiring/testing the car- I cut off the muffler-Sounded great w/o it. That's my next step... Exhaust system...

As far as the electronics- thanks to the guys putting these in Lambo kit cars- reusing the stock electronics made the most sense and very cost effective. The drive by wire?

P1010248.jpg

BMW was the first to come out w/ it. Unlike Toyota- if something goes wrong- the engine goes in to Limp home mode and just runs one bank of 6 cylinders. In fact GM used a BMW V12 in an Impala to study it's drive by wire design-
v-12-engine-crammed-into-a-caprice.jpg

2218958663_4434f31b63.jpg

Six wires to the factory throttle and I'm there. The engine harness I will just clean up- Going to mount the computers in the BMW's stock metal box- Which has it's own temp sensor and will switch a self contained fan on if needed- right where the Corvette's overflow res was. The original harness has two 20 pin connectors that disconnect the engine/electronics from the car- I was able to cut the wires/ identify and make sure the car ran w/o BEFORE I pulled the motor out.

P1010277.jpg

I'm working on the cooling system tonight- I have the Dewitts rad w/ twin fans- Plenty of room -could even run a mech fan.
P1010275.jpg

And looks like I've found a place for the BMW expansion tank-up high- and will do a good job bleeding the air out of the system-

P1010276.jpg

These Germans really document their stuff....

coolingsystem1.jpg
coolingsystem2.jpg

Richard

Looks like the electronics to operate the throttle could be used on the dyno i'm trying to digitize. Is that an arm mounted to the motor ? Do you know what type of electric motor it is ( servo/stepper) ? And what type of E is this BMW you got this ETC out of ? BMW parts are plenty around here so this may be the easy way out for me.

Thanks for the info.

Succes with the conversion. Although I wouldn't have done it, I can appreciate the mechanical effort you made to make it work. Being a V12, I can imagine it must be fine running engine. (Wasn't that a 2 valve engine ?)

The electronics to the "drive by wire" are part of the total engine management system. There is one computer for each 6cyl bank and a third that syncs them. The electronic pedal or rheostat -which I pulled out and directly wired underhood- talks to the sync computer which then sends a signal to the two computers w/ turn the electric motors (one for each bank).

It is a 2 valve but a SOHC design driven by a chain not a belt. Actually the bottom end on this motor was used in the McLaren FI w/ 4valve heads.

Vision? Most of the time I have "double vision!!!"

This is one for the "It should be a Chevy engine crowd...."

P1010281.jpg