Who makes this rack?

Looks very similar to what I've been mentioning about the TCP rack. The rack is most likely their own product using a rack & pinion from a company like woodward.

Don't you agree, such a rack is just infinitely nicer than steeroids or rack attack or whatever else is out there? I would pay $2000 for a proper steering system, wouldn't you?

If I recall correctly the issue with most of these racks is width (inner tie rod points C to C is wider than C3 lower swing arm C to C). Now that I have flares I could afford to move the control arm inner pivots out 1 inch (2 inch total) if that could be a viable solution to fit another rack.

Looks very similar to what I've been mentioning about the TCP rack. The rack is most likely their own product using a rack & pinion from a company like woodward.

Don't you agree, such a rack is just infinitely nicer than steeroids or rack attack or whatever else is out there? I would pay $2000 for a proper steering system, wouldn't you?

The rack at the RRS site looks like a production rack to me and at the site there is a video link of someone putting (a mirrored) one in in a RHD Ford. So it's probably the rack out of some "world car". Take a look at the video, it looks like it might package better than the Steeroids. It also has a control/guide rod for the take off bracket. That looks like a good idea also.

I would pay $2000 for a proper steering system. What's the Steeroids kit, $1300? Not sure I would "go cheap" on my steering.

If I recall correctly the issue with most of these racks is width (inner tie rod points C to C is wider than C3 lower swing arm C to C). Now that I have flares I could afford to move the control arm inner pivots out 1 inch (2 inch total) if that could be a viable solution to fit another rack.

This one is a center take off rack (tie rods connect at the center) so the width is easy to adjust.

BB my bad as I should have looked closer. I keep trying to find and end take off solution with PS

HRPworld.com (Irv Hoerr) sells Appleton steering racks, they must have something suitable....they would most likely be cheaper from Lefthander or Behling both located in the midwest....(I have an "in" at Behling if it helps).
redvetracr

I have an appleton rack and they don't sell anything in center take off rear steer (at least I coudln't find it)

Woodward does semm some seriously expensive GT racks, I think they're all end take off though. I have to look up their catalog....can't find it.

I have some serious reservations against the above rack install, I would rather see the tie rods on the rack output very close by, not extended out on some bar, or like Steeroids on some plate....

just too much twist put on that travellor sliding back and forth...vertical, or fore/aft....too much wear on the travelor/bearings.....

I"m scared of breakage.....I did consider doing it....

I saw that system done by Flaming river for Chevelles using a similar cradle.
I read somewhere it was to correct the bump steer.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.c...tegory_id=188/home_id=63/mode=prod/prd359.htm

Would something like that work for our C3?

Witch bring another question, Norval wasn't too hot for rack and pinion for 2 reasons,
1, it would hang low under the car.
2, the end of the steering column would have to use 2 or 3 joints in order to go around the obstacles.

What do you guys think about that?
I'm still undecided about the steering in my car.

Jeep witch again was well explained by Norval or rack and pinion.

Last edited:
Norval is a hell of an engineer, no question, and I am receipient of mucho help from him over some long time now....hated to see him disappear....
guess he got bored with all the posting and 'tudes'.....

he felt the Jeep box was better than a rack, but well I did my own rack before anyone made any kits or other conversions....mine was on the road a year before anyone sold rack kit ONE....built my conversion from a very OLD series of pix dating back to the old UUNet days where Idar Anderson from northern Europe...did a Saab 900? rack into a shark, i'ts the '92 Grand Am rack so popular here in the states, Identical...but I didn't know that for some time, then someone said something and it was off to the junkyards in '01 and found my solution in '02 and on the car for testing...took several attempts to get it right, but it's been in there some 6 years now street driven daily....all sorts or roads and speeds...most of them quicker....

so the concept is not mine but Steeroids was also reading the information I had and went commercial with it....

my install is superior....

I never did a Jeep box conversion, nor driven one, so can't comment.....

all I know is ONE huge nice thing is the night/day feel of the car on the road, plenty of feedback even with the power assist, due to rack design not a recirc ball, IMO.....then the 2.7 turns lock to lock at 12-1 ratio than the OEM design at 16-1 ratio or 4 turns l-l.....

I feel the problems in differant opinions come from primarily wheels and tires ...

pecking order

wheels tires
steering ratio
suspensions....

and so with everyone doing their own thing, opinions vary widely, VERY widely....

:bounce:

Norval is a hell of an engineer, no question, and I am receipient of mucho help from him over some long time now....hated to see him disappear....
guess he got bored with all the posting and 'tudes'.....

he felt the Jeep box was better than a rack, but well I did my own rack before anyone made any kits or other conversions....mine was on the road a year before anyone sold rack kit ONE....built my conversion from a very OLD series of pix dating back to the old UUNet days where Idar Anderson from northern Europe...did a Saab 900? rack into a shark, i'ts the '92 Grand Am rack so popular here in the states, Identical...but I didn't know that for some time, then someone said something and it was off to the junkyards in '01 and found my solution in '02 and on the car for testing...took several attempts to get it right, but it's been in there some 6 years now street driven daily....all sorts or roads and speeds...most of them quicker....

so the concept is not mine but Steeroids was also reading the information I had and went commercial with it....

my install is superior....

I never did a Jeep box conversion, nor driven one, so can't comment.....

all I know is ONE huge nice thing is the night/day feel of the car on the road, plenty of feedback even with the power assist, due to rack design not a recirc ball, IMO.....then the 2.7 turns lock to lock at 12-1 ratio than the OEM design at 16-1 ratio or 4 turns l-l.....

I feel the problems in differant opinions come from primarily wheels and tires ...

pecking order

wheels tires
steering ratio
suspensions....

and so with everyone doing their own thing, opinions vary widely, VERY widely....

:bounce:

Yes I know about the vast opinion diff and I try to make up an idea about it using pretty much everybody's experiences mainly with what I want from the car.
Someone who want a race car perf will demand something else than a guy who wants a cruiser.

That way I can find out probs before and will do it right the first time.
Of course I dont mind doing it and test for ajustements.

Jeep seems to be allright but the commentary I got was that the feel of the steering was too sensitive. I guess that could be fixed elsewhere (pump).
The bump steer could be fixed by changing the rods on the steer linkage.

On the other side the rack system could hang too low and has a lot of joints. But that's not a big problem since theres tons of cars with 2 or 3 joints so it doesn't bother me too much.
All I'm sure is that the old system is out and will be replaced.

Do you have any pics of the install?

Yes I know about the vast opinion diff and I try to make up an idea about it using pretty much everybody's experiences mainly with what I want from the car.
Someone who want a race car perf will demand something else than a guy who wants a cruiser.

That way I can find out probs before and will do it right the first time.
Of course I dont mind doing it and test for ajustements.

Jeep seems to be allright but the commentary I got was that the feel of the steering was too sensitive. I guess that could be fixed elsewhere (pump).
The bump steer could be fixed by changing the rods on the steer linkage.

On the other side the rack system could hang too low and has a lot of joints. But that's not a big problem since theres tons of cars with 2 or 3 joints so it doesn't bother me too much.
All I'm sure is that the old system is out and will be replaced.

Do you have any pics of the install?

Yes, I think so, om my home puter, I at an old hs friends place now...some pushing 50 years known this guy...vacation...wives get along well, and we just BS back and forth like we was kids still....

:censored::clobbered::huh::nuts: