OBD II Scan Tools

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
Hopefully someone on here knows something about these tools. I'm looking for a decent one for my DDs, an 03 Saturn and an 04 Lexus. Obviously I'd like to be able to read trouble codes and reset them but I'd also like to be able to use the transmission and antilock brake codes. I do have the service manuals for both, so I suppose a trouble code number would do. Presumably that's one difference with the higher priced versions.

There are various used Snap On tools, including the MT2500 "brick" that is readily available and fairly cheep, but the modules and personality keys (no idea of what these are for) seem to be pretty car specific and get fairly expensive.

There are some great buys on Craftsman tools. I just find it hard to believe that a $100 tooll new will do just as well as one $400 used. Don't know the difference though.

Any guidance?

I have a program & cables for my Palm pilot to read & reset codes but it will only access the engine managment computer. I think a lot of the $100 units will be the same. I borrowed a unit 4 or 5 years ago that would read all the ECU's (off a CF member from GM) but it was $3000 to $4000 unit.

I bought one from Kragen's and it works great on my 1997 camaro, Pinpointed a miss in the 6th cylinder and saved me a bunch over a dealer repair. It will digitally readout the codes and erase any resolved codes as well. Think it was made by sun pro. Paid about 175.00 for it.

Heres the one I bought for my car

obd-ii-code-reader-equus-3110-i2045.jpg

This is what I use on our newer cars. The software is free. You just pay for the cable that you hook to the OBD port and the other end plugs into your lap top. you can run and see everything in real time. I have been using it for years. I think at the time the cable was around a 100 bux.
Alex C. Peper is one of the major defacto persons who helped develop OBDII. Down load the software and try is out with its sample programs. You will really be surprised. It my view it is the shit.

the dash board screen shot is killer and again it is all in real time...and as you do your runs you can record all. Stop and re run it and see everthing that goes on through the rpm band...too KOOL!
gauge1.gif

Here is the link to the site...(no affiliation)

http://www.obd-2.com/index.html#view

c-ya
ToddG

Here is another option I came across:

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

I remember reading an article that was positive about it but I no longer have the article and don't remember much more than that.

Let us know what you end up doing.

DC