Flare tools

Garys 68

I just saw this kit posted on another site.
http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html
I think it's the first kit I've run across that does 37 degree double flares.
So my stupid question for those who do a lot more fabrication than me....
What are the standard rules for what flare to use and single vs double flare in steel, aluminum, and stainless?

The imperial easman 400F will do double 37deg flares, also in stainless. My papco rotomaster turret model will do double flares in 37 too. I just don't want to use it on stainless and crack the cone.

Double flare is for use with non seamless (inside) tubing, the outside is always smooth so you turn it inside out for a smooth sealing surface. Seamless tubing can be single flares without issues. Double flaring stainless is a bitch, depending on the quality the flare may crack.
Nice hydraulic tool though. Sticker shock???

The hydraulic in the link is only $300. Wish I would have bought it before buying 45 and 37 degree manual sets.
I thought ALL brake line had to be double flared. True or no?

The hydraulic in the link is only $300. Wish I would have bought it before buying 45 and 37 degree manual sets.
I thought ALL brake line had to be double flared. True or no?

Yup, I think so, I always have anyway....but I never messed with anything but the normal steel or replacements...

dunno when doing SS or Aluminum

:amazed:

I just saw this kit posted on another site.
http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html
I think it's the first kit I've run across that does 37 degree double flares.
So my stupid question for those who do a lot more fabrication than me....
What are the standard rules for what flare to use and single vs double flare in steel, aluminum, and stainless?

I was wondering the same thing not long ago and did some research. What I found is the reason for a double flair is strength. When making a 45 deg flare you only have a nut, so you need the double thickness for strength. When making a 37 deg flare a single flare is fine because you have a nut and a sleeve. The sleeve gives you the extra strength.

Stainless is said to be ok with a single flare 45 deg and just a nut because it is harder. I also read but havent tried, if you anneal the tubing you can double flair stainless with little problems.

Now I am not sure what the law says about single flare and 37 deg flare.

All brake line is double flares because all OEMS that I know of use non seamless tubing.

The sleeve doesn't so much give strength it reduces the chance of warping the flare when you tighten the flare nut. The same is true for the double flare. I wouldn't use a single flare with a setup that only uses a flare nut and no sleeve either.

I have annealed stainless before making the 2nd flare, it does work but is just a lot more work and not necessary since I use AN 37deg flares and sleeves all the time.